I'm covered with tiny bugs!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by steffenck, Aug 12, 2013.

1. steffenck

steffenck New Egg

Aug 12, 2013
    Over the last week, every time I go into the chicken coop, I'm covered with tiny, tan bugs. The chickens look fine and don't seem to be scratching a lot. But these things immediately get on my legs, arms and face/hair. It is creeping me out!

I've spread DE on the wood chips and created a pool w sand, wood ash and DE but they don't seem to want to dust themselves. I won't keep them (5 mos old) if this keeps up. Any idea what would get on me but not them?

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

3. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Oh Dear, Steffenck! But [​IMG]

You may get better luck posting on the pests thread or reading through there.

The top things that come to mind are Northern Fowl Mites or Red mites. Now I am highly allergic, so I dont see the mites but get little itchy mosquito-bite looking bumps when my girls get mites (picked up from wild birds). Perhaps do a google search on those two things and see if it looks familiar. Manageable pests but no fun.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  5. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    DE won't do anything for mites or lice. You need a residual emulsified concentrate like Permectrin II or Ravap EC. Follow label directions in order to treat birds and the premises.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] sounds like the bugs prefer you to chickens, maybe they are a type that need a human host. Possibly you aren't getting them from the chickens but, maybe from whatever litter you use (straw, hay, ???) DE is useless, so don't think they are hard to kill. It's not worth giving up your birds for it. Just use recommended products.

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I would definitely buy poultry dust and dust all of your chickens and the coop! Good luck.

8. hungnguyen

hungnguyen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2013
    Mix some Malathion with water, then spray the cage especially the roost. Then spray the chicken around their vents. This will rid of mite, lice and many others.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by