I'm crazy- goose egg question

beegirl4

Songster
8 Years
Nov 19, 2011
I live on a pond and have a pair of Canadian geese that I feed (I know most hate them). The reason we accept these two is because they are very territorial and chase off the hundreds of other geese that come here. They have made a nest and were laying eggs (I only let her keep 3). It is pouring today and the water has risen well over a foot above the nest. Penelope (her name) sat on those eggs as long as she could but they were completely submerged and she finally abandoned. I went out there and found the nest and took the eggs. They are very very cold . I candled them and the chicks (or whatever you call them) are pretty decent size, but I can't tell if they are alive. If I keep them warm until tomorrow when the water recedes, can I put them back in the area where the nest was? She is a very friendly goose and completely let me take the eggs with no issue (maybe a bad sign). I have four pullets who are not broody, so I can't put them in the nesting boxes. Any ideas?
I know, I'm strange. Canadian geese make such a mess!
Thanks so much for any input!!
Rachel

beegirl4

Songster
8 Years
Nov 19, 2011
I just candled them again and at least two are alive! Now what?! Now I feel worse for keeping them without a plan.

Latest posts

Top Bottom