I'm Crying!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by peeps7, Sep 9, 2007.

1. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    My partridge silkie chick seemed fine yesterday and I went in today and he was dead. I cryed and cryed for about 20 minutes. Anyways I want to get a some silkies and have my own babes. What I don't understand is why my chick died. Any ideas?

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Sorry about your silkie [​IMG]

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I'm so sorry you have lost your silkie chick...but for us to get answers to you , you need to give us alittle more information...was this your only silkie chick...where you were keeping it..how old it was....what you had it on for feed...if it was penned with other chicks, if you have more chickens?.....things like that will help everyone here give you are opinion of what happened...sometimes chicks just die for unknown reasons...

4. peeps7

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    My chick was one week two days old and he had cedar shavings for a bedding. He had Dumor chick food for chamions (something like that), there were no other chicks with him. This morning he was sleeping and making some noise but when I got home from church he was dead.

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Maybe he ran into the wall and broke his neck because something scared him...
    I'm sorry for the loss of your chick.

6. peeps7

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    I don't think so because he was in the same place when I got home that he was when I left.

7. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

You should be using pine shavings instead of cedar. I've read that cedar shavings can cause respiratory problems for your birds.

Dawn

8. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    That is so sad. I'm so sorry. Did he have a light to keep warm? I've also heard not to use cedar chips. I'm assuming he had water, of course?!!

Ellen

9. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    SO SO SORRY - Next time do not use cedar shavings it can be hard on the lungs when your nose is only 2 inches away from them...

You will never know the cause for sure.

When we clean our big/adult silkie pens I use 3 buckets of Pine to 1 bucket of Ceder Shavings.
    We never use cedar with babies.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2007
  10. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I would have to surmise a guess.....if you had cedar in there, thats what the problem is. Cedar is toxic to chickens. Im so sorry you lost him.....its so hard!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by