I'm curious, What charities or gifts are you giving to this year?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Frogdogtimestwo, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Our family tries to give a gift, even a small gesture to someone in need around the holidays. This year we have decided to pay someones electric bill in December (within reason [​IMG] ) Also giving our elderly neighbors eggs weekly if available. What are you planning on doing this year???

2. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Great question, and eager to see what others say!

We always give out eggs, but also The Heifer Project, Planned Parenthood and Doctors Without Borders.

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Our local chapter of Threads of Love, and our church's 25th Anniversary fund drive which will benefit a student at the Southern Seminary (Lutheran) in Columbia, SC.

Threads of Love is a sewing/crafting charity that provides garments for preemie babies and those families suffering a pregnancy loss or stillbirth. I've been active in our local chapter since 2004 and it's such a joy to share some of my modest talent with a needle and thread to give a little comfort for someone who is hurting.

My chapter's website is www.charlottethreadsoflove.org

If it sounds like something you might be interested in the national website is: www.threadsoflove.org There are chapters all across the country.

4. Frogdogtimestwo

May 21, 2008
    These are great ideas, lets keep them coming!

5. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Neither of these are EXACTLY what you asked but:
    1) I recently had my birthday. My present from my aunt was a donation in my name to the humane society.
    2) Once I cut my hair (who knows how long that will be) I'm going to donate it to Locks for Love. [​IMG]

6. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Forgot to mention our wonderful local Food Bank, and the Survival Center, an excellent and friendly no-questions-asked food pantry where I have volunteered in the past. These community food resources will need all the help they can get this winter.

7. Fowl-Language

Fowl-Language Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Longview, WA
    We usually give to the Heifer Project and the Salvation Army. Earlier this year, however, I adopted a soldier - he's a guy in the same company as my nephew-in-law who has no family or sweetie and never gets mail or care packages. They are stationed in a VERY remote location with no plumbing, electricity, not enough food, and no access to a PX.
    Therefore, since I've got soooo much extra money laying around (dripping with sarcasm), I'm pinching pennies so I can spoil the holy heck out of this fella for the holidays.

8. Frogdogtimestwo

May 21, 2008
    Envirogirl12 It does not have to me monetary to give a gift, Can you imagine the look on a little girls face, or woman when she receives a wig made from your hair after being bald.
    I just love the ideas and generosity of people, and love to hear about what they do to make a difference in someones else's life.

9. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    After being knee deep in doctors bills a few months ago, I received a check from my surgeon. I over paid by several hundreds of dollars. I thought, cool, my kids will have a better Christmas than I thought. Then I thought about the kids that have no Christmas. So, out went about half to the Salvation Army. It feels good. My kids will still get way more than they deserve, but now some other kid will have a better Christmas. I feel so blessed. I also buy the bags of groceries my Publix has for the needy.

10. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    I have family members that just dont need any little thing I could afford to give them so I donate to www.Heifer.org in their name and they even give you a card to give as the gift. Heifer donates animals to those in need and teaches them to breed and how to care for them, they then in turn have to give away one offspring to a neighbor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by