I'm dazed and silkie confused.

NickyKnack

Love is Silkie soft!
7 Years
Oct 13, 2014
Don't like your attitude, change your latitude
Hi I'm new here, but I've been following you here for a while now. You are all chicken enthusiasts here and i love it! It seems that's all I can talk about is my girls. I already have 2 goldens, 2 black stars and a road island red. But I was reading up on silkie chickens and finally bought two chicks. Now both were very small, extra puffy and very timid. Fast forward 5.5 mouths, one is definitely a roo. The other one However, it's confusing :/ it crow's in the morning and even has hackle feathers. But here is the dazed part, it has no spurs, comb or waddles. I named he/she Neytiri(white) and he/she loves to sit in a towel lined basket on the coffee table for hours while I watch TV. Cooing contentedly at me, while Castiel(black) my roo won't. What does it all mean. Do i have a male like hen or a feminine roo? Can anybody help me figure this out?
Thanks in advance:D

Last edited:
I'm guessing the darker one is your boy?

Spurs don't grow till much later, up to a year even.
The dark one looks like its got a rosé comb which is what you would expect and at 5 months the wattles could still be a work in progress but I can see them in the photo looking as you would expect.

Looks and sounds like you have a roo.

Last edited:
Actually silkies should have a walnut comb which looks like a big, ugly tumor but, I guess that's what silkie breeders go for. If either departs from what you think a silkie should look like, it may just mean they weren't from the best quality parents, or may be mixed silkies. Try posting your photos on the "Silkie Thread." Just put that in the search box and it will pop up. Every silkie chick isn't going to be a clone of the standard of perfection. If you don't intend to show, enjoy your birds the way they are. They are pretty.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Young Silkies are notoriously difficult to sex by sight, but if it's crowing, it's a rooster. Hens do crow on rare occasions, but it's almost always a hen that is several years old and has assumed the role of the rooster in a roosterless flock. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your Silkies.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Definitely stop by the link that Sumi has left for you. Pretty birds!

Enjoy all your poultry adventures and we do welcome you to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom