I'm debating on getting a Muscovy duck...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by crazyduckmom, Feb 27, 2012.

1. crazyduckmom

crazyduckmom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    I've recently fell in love with the muscovy duck and have been reading up about it. I'm seriously considering getting one from a hatchery i live near but was wondering if anyone had any advice or tips before I decide for sure if I should get one or not? I read that they are "quackless"... is this true? Do they make a lot of noise? I'm wanting an indoor pet duck but I need a duck that doesn't make a whole lot of noise.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    They are somewhat quackless. They make more of a soft call that is much quieter than mallard derived breeds. Mine made minimal noise. Sometimes you wouldn't even know they were there. Also they are very affectionate and would make a great choice for a indoor pet duck.

3. crazyduckmom

Feb 15, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    Thanks for the response! I'm sold on getting one... now I just need to work over the hard to convince fiance of mine... [​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They make great pets, Mine happens to be a drake because he was motherless last June when he hatched, and he would probably be fine for you with no girls around, but I think a female would probably be a lot better. No male hormones to contend with.

5. crazyduckmom

Feb 15, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    Yeah I was thinking of getting a female if the hatchery I live by will sex them for me since I will be picking it up instead of being shipped out... But, I need to convince my fiance before I get one. Not sure how to go about doing it though... I've been trying to convince him for 6 weeks since we brought home the 4 ducklings we have in the house now. So far its been a pretty firm no and when the 4 we have are old enough/its warm enough here they are going outside.

6. elsasmom

elsasmom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2012
    I raised 3 females from 2 weeks old and they are almost 5 years now. They live in the coop with my 3 hens and free range (and free fly over our property) during the day.
    I wouldn't part with them for anything. They still make me laugh every day.
    They make little cooing sounds, never quack and the females top out at about 7 pounds where the males go 12!
    They are very sweet and friendly but don't like to be held in my experience. My girls like to hang around with me and follow me to the garden and take treats, but very hard to catch and hard to hold on to.
    I would definitely go for a female as the males bet very carucley with age and they can be aggressive toward other animals.
    I would keep them outside so they can be free to fly when they get old enough. They LOVE to fly and make a sweep over the property which is a sight to behold. They never fly away and are always in sight of their home.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    They are fairly quiet but the hens do quack... i have some louder than others but on the whole they are not a noisy duck... of coarse i have 8 so they can somewhat 'talkative' no idea what they are saying but clearly it can be a rather intense conversation sometimes [​IMG]

I can't comment on house duck, i have enough chaos with dogs, cats, parrots, fish, rabbits and finally kids in my house.. the LAST thing i'd need inside is a duck.. The hens we raised from day olds are quite sweet, we can easily hold them but i admit i prefer just watching mine free range around the farm..

8. Scovy Momma

Scovy Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2012
    Sacramento CA
    If you can convince him to let you have one indoors after the babies go outside,I do recommend a muscovy. My girl is a little clown & so quiet! I only hear a little soft giggle out of her sometimes,but mostly if she's talking to us she does this soft "Whoot!" "Whooo!" noise.
    She loves cuddling & getting under the covers on the bed. She really acts like one of my dogs. I love my dogs but she's cleaner (with a diaper on),quieter & food costs less. & she's every bit as sweet as my pups!

9. elsasmom

elsasmom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2012
    Daisy is really pretty. I love her markings

10. Scovy Momma

Scovy Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2012
    Sacramento CA
    Thank you! I love them too. I didn't really know the different looks that Muscovy ducks had. They sure are unique looking not just the breed but from bird to bird also! I just figured she was going to be funky looking because I got her from a lady that wasn't trying to breed for looks,she was just given a pair that began to lay in her yard. With every molt,she seems to get prettier feathers. I hope it keeps going that way [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by