I'm doing it! Almost.. Hopefully.....

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by mylittlechickpea, Jan 6, 2011.

1. mylittlechickpea

mylittlechickpea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have been thinking about going back to school a lot lately. I even went as far as to make a plan, and find financial aid, yada, yada, yada, the whole bit. I went to go sign up for the class I was planning on taking earlier this week to get my phlebotomy license/certificate... The class is being canceled [​IMG] Due to "lack of enrollment" [​IMG] The gal in the office told me I am the only person to express interest in this course in over a year [​IMG] Seriously? That really blows.... I was super jazzed about this class, after getting hubs on board too... [​IMG] My main goal is to be a paramedic. But out here, it's just too expensive and I need to work, so we're not as poor as we are now. So I've been seeking out shorter programs for certificates that are still in the medical field, but something doable right now.

Well after that... [​IMG]

I found a school that trains medical assistants. So I'm getting excited about this one, but not too excited because I don't want this to blow up in my face either [​IMG] They have an "entrance exam" scheduled for every Thursday at 1:00 So I am going to go take that. I think it's just the basic reading, writing, and simple math.. And then find out about costs, length of the program, all that good stuff. My husband is in the service, so I qualify for some new program that they have going on through militaryonesource.com I have $4,000 from them to use, and I have also applied for FAFSA. My application with them was already processed, I don't qualify for a Pell Grant, but they said there should be some other things that I am eligible for.

So wish me luck! I really am hoping that this will not fall apart like my other plan. And hopefully, I should have a good sound job sometime soon. [​IMG]

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Good luck! I've been thinking about that phlebotomy class myself...

3. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Congratulations on your decision to return to school. Getting an education is something you will never regret and one thing no one can take away from you [​IMG] Go 4 it!

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    What are the job opportunities for medical assistants in your area? The school should be able to show you some figures about % of employment of graduates and what kinds of jobs they got.

Go back to school, yes, but do know that it's a usable profession in your area.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2011
  5. crazy goose lover

crazy goose lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Athens Illinois
    I work in a hospital and they train their own phlebotomists. Do you live near a hospital? You could check withthe human resource department to see what classes they offer. Often the classes are free if you agree to work for them for a time. Good Luck.

6. magoochie

magoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    Grantsburg, WI
    Im not sure what you currently do, but have you looked into a CNA license? It usually is about a $1000 class and only takes a week or two to complete. That might get you on the way into the medical field.

Also, maybe some type of radiology certificate? Usually X-ray techs are a shorter course. Something to think about to get your foot in the door anyway.

I still kick myself for not going to school to be a surgical technian. I always wonder if I would have liked it.

My husband and I are both insurance adjusters, and travel the country working on storm claims. It has allowed us to move into the country because we dont have a routine drive to work everyday. And we get to work together as a team most of the time. We really love this line of work. But every once in a while I wonder what it would be like to have a "normal job"

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  7. mylittlechickpea

May 2, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Currently I stay at home... [​IMG] I have my EMT license back on the main land, but it's too expensive to get my Hawaii state license. And without it I can't really do anything that I want to do. Back in New York I worked as a scrub tech (surg tech) on the labor and delivery floor, and I loved it! I got the job, and they trained me. Didn't cost me a nickel. But even with my experience and on the job training for that one, in Hawaii you need a license to hold that job.. [​IMG]

So It's not that I haven't received training anywhere, or that I am just starting out. Hawaii won't give a kid a break. I wanted to do phlebotomy because it seemed like the easy thing to do for me right now in this moment. But I think The Dude upstairs is trying to tell me otherwise.

So I have now chosen medical assistant because there is a need for them here, I am always seeing job postings for them. As well as it being a very portable career. The pay is pretty decent to anything I am used to. And although the course is 9 months, it is worth it to me. And I am very sure that I should be able to find a job within a reasonable amount of time after passing and getting my certificate. If I didn't then I'd just be sitting on my tush waiting for hubs to get home from deployment the whole time.

8. HardLuckHill

HardLuckHill Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2010
    Aiken County, SC
    I'm a CMA! I work in a group ob/gyn practice. A very, very busy practice. There are 5 providers, and each has their own help. Three LPNs, myself, and one other CMA. We all do the same work. I could do just about anything in the practice, but I love the clinical aspect much more than admin. I did a two-year program at our local technical college. Looking back on it, I wish I would have gone ahead and gotten my RN. That being said, I don't have a hubby to help support me. It took me 4 months from graduation to being hired. I'd be happy to answer questions if you had any you wanted to ask!

Beth

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Ok here comes the downer chick into the thread.

MA's here where I live make at MOST $10 an hour, and they are stuck with the student loan to boot. Please research the salaries in your area to find out what you may be able to make. Here is it dismal at best. The blood suckers don't make much more here. I stress HERE where I live.

Around here CMA's are paid minimum wage - $8.00 for California. That SUCKS! I am a firm believer that caregivers, MA's, blood suckers (I cant spell the right name) all deserve way more than they get around here.

I was an Administrator for an assisted living home for 2 years. So I DO know.

10. mylittlechickpea

May 2, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Crazy Goose Lover: One of my friends is a nurse at the womans and childrens health center downtown. She asked a couple of the lab workers where they got their training, and they had gotten hired and trained on the job at one of the very few labs on the island. So that would be an option, however, when I looked into their website they didn't have any current job opening. And if they had, how many other people am I going up against who may or may not have experience for the position in which they are applying... I wouldn't mind waiting for something to open up, I would. But I've been waiting for a year! lol.

Magoochie: I have looked into CNA in the past, when I was doing home health care work. And I wasn't really extremely interested. I know I could make a couple more bucks an hour or look more hire-able.. But... The CNA's that came in to help out when I was on duty, did the same thing I did! So maybe I'm just a little soured on that, I dunno. But I never really wanted it [​IMG] I have been interested in radiology. Maybe it was just the cool video I got to watch at the orientation for my last job, lol. The rad guys always seemed so cheerful. And as I did mention earlier, I have worked as a surg tech, and loved it. But the schooling here is about the same as what I'm looking at cost wise, and I think a little longer time wise..

Deb: Phlebotomists on the island start around $14-15. Which was why I was super jazzed about it. The cost would have been totally absorbed by the MilitaryOneSource.com organization. And I wouldn't have been left out of pocket for anything. The medical assistants start around $14 as well. About half the course will be covered by the MilitaryOneSource program. And the other half, I'm hoping to get some money from the FAFSA for. I'm hoping I could qualify for a grant, but if all I can get is a loan, then I'll take it.

The school I would be going through has a 76% graduation rate, and help their students find work after completion of the course. I have talked to hubs about it, and he is being supportive of this decision even though it was kind of quickly made. I have put thought into it though. And heck, he'll be gone for 6 months throughout most of it, so I think he's just happy I've found something constructive to keep me busy. Even though now I can't go see him in Japan because I'll be in school [​IMG] but he promised to send me something neat.

I didn't get in for that "entrance exam" today, but I have an actual appointment to get it done tomorrow (Friday) morning. And to speak with a financial officer, I am hoping through all this I can start next month. [​IMG] And I'll keep ya'll posted.

Thanks for all the support, and concerns [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by