Im done.... I think the chickens are going... :(

hugs.gif

I put garden lime and DE down. i also do fly strips for any that still can live in that environment. Honestly i don't have many and I have 50 chickens right now. If its not for you then don't be sad. You tried and it was not a good fit but if you really will miss them so, then maybe try different management methods to keep these things down.

Last edited:
I use a deep litter system so poop is not an issue. Just shovel out the litter once or twice a year and put it on the garden. If you get fly predators you can keep the flies under control. Search online for them. Chickens aren't for everyone, but mine are very low maintenance. Since I add shavings as needed, the litter stays dry and pretty much odor free. If you scatter a few handfuls of scratch on the litter every day, the chickens will keep the bedding nicely stirred up.

A big portion of my problem isn't chickens- its kids. My 3 and 1 year olds love to let the chickens out. Then the chickens poo all over my patio and grass and all that. They also enjoy taking the food out of the tub I store it in and throw it everywhere, then douse it with the hose. If you think flies like poop... they love chicken food. Doesn't seem to matter how much DE I add, or how much I spray with tengard. I do watch my kids- this sounds like Idont, but really, the backyard is supposed to be a safe place they can play slightly independently while I water plants or clean the coop etc.

I am just sad... such beautiful chickens and such pretty eggs.

Well it does sound like chickens may just not be for you. I'm sorry about that.I have a metal garbage bin with my chicken food in it and no little hands can get that open.Chicken poop will get all over the grass and patio the more chickens you have the more chance of larger amounts of poop. Your only other option is to hose it down once a day or to make a pen where the chickens are kept locked up. I wish you well with your decision.

It sounds like a lock for the chicken pen so the kids couldn't let the chickens out and some fly predators to keep the flies under control would pretty much solve your problem.

Sweet PDZ works well on drying up the poop and keeping the smell down, which cuts down the flys dramatically. A latch on the chicken pen and a garbage can with bungee for the food should solve the other problems. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom