I'm dreading Monday!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bloom chicks, Apr 12, 2012.

1. bloom chicks

bloom chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    My broody (Lily) babies are suppose to hatch on Monday and I have to take them from her....[​IMG] her sister (Lady) that was broody deciced that she didn't want to be broody anymore so I had to put them under Lily so now she has a staggered hatch.....The other eggs aren't due until the following Monday......... I am hoping that she is up to the task because I don't have an incubator....... Any suggestions? ................ I was hoping to get another broody to put them under but no such luck.......

2. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    As soon as the chicks hatch could you move them into a brooder in your home? Perhaps then your hen will stay on the other eggs. People have directions on here how to make incubators - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/homemade-chicken-egg-incubator-designs-pictures

I have heard that sometimes a hen will continue to sit on the eggs for a couple days even after the eggs have hatched, just in case there are any late hatchers. I can't say that for sure, as I am on my first round using a broody. Maybe you could put a ad on craigslist, either asking for an incubator, or that you are selling some fertile eggs that are already partly formed.

I hope it all works out!

3. bloom chicks

bloom chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    I will have the brooder ready when they hatch....... I was just praying that it wouldn't have to come to that...... I have been spoiled with broody mama's taking care of the babies...... I love to watch broody's with their babies..........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by