I'm Eggcited!!!!!

KCalhoun

Chirping
Jun 8, 2020
I finally got my first egg today!!! I have been waiting for what seems like forever been watching my 2 Austrolorp girls get bigger and their wattles and combs growing and this morning when I went out to check on all my kiddos (something I do every morning!!) I noticed in one of my nesting buckets there was a small light brown egg!!! I was so excited that I got the egg went in the house, called hubby and took a picture of the new egg next to the store bought eggs I had just bought yesterday!!!!

After I calmed my excitement a little I knew I needed to put some shavings in their nesting boxes so they will be more comfy. I grabbed the bag of pine shavings and went in the pen. Ya'll it sounded like a bear was after all my chickens!!! They were terrified of that bag!!! Every chicken I have was cackling and sounded like they were all laying eggs!!!! I got out of the pen with that bag a quick as I could, started talking to them and trying to calm them all down. They finally settled down so I took the buckets out and put bedding in and took the buckets back in. The girls was checking it out this afternoon, so hopefully I will get another egg tomorrow!!!!

I gave them some layer feed and they don't seem to like it. I'm going to town and get some oyster shells tomorrow but I have Tank, my Austrolorp rooster, in the pen with them. Is it ok for Tank to eat the layer feed and oyster shells too??????

Roosters should never eat Layer feed! Put your troop on an all-flock feed and put the oyster shell on the side in a separate dish. The calcium isnt good for him.

Roosters should never eat Layer feed! Put your troop on an all-flock feed and put the oyster shell on the side in a separate dish. The calcium isnt good for him.

Thank you for the advice!!
I mixed the layer feed with Scratch feed so I don't know if he ate any of the layer pellets or not. What is all-flock feed? Is that the name of it??

Thats the name! I use Purina All Flock. Pretty simple really.... My crew likes it better than the layer. Had to switch because I had 2 groups of youngins this spring and 2 cockerels :p

Congrats on your first egg!!

Normally chickens that don’t need excess calcium won’t eat oyster shells, at least not enough to cause any problems. Maybe a nibble every once in awhile, normally not going over their recommended intake of calcium. Feeding roosters, or non laying females layer feed is 100000% not good. It forces them to ingest pretty high amounts of calcium, way too much for them to stay healthy with. A good all flock, or flock raiser, or even a good grower would suffice for a flock, with oyster shells on the side if you have laying birds of course.

Back
Top Bottom