I'm fed up with both of my roosters behaviors!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Christie Loves Silkies, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Christie Loves Silkies

Christie Loves Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

I got 2 new girls on Sunday, I came home to let them out to free range.
    One of my roosters tried to mount my very small 11 week old girl. i pushed him off her.
    All 3 of the girls arnt even old enough to lay eggs.
    and then he does it to one of the new girls.

Then the other rooster starts pecking at all of my girls. goes off at them for eating the feed that i have out for all of them.
    attacks me for moving my girls away from him, and the bowl of feed.
    i have had enough of both roosters.
    I love them dearly, but I'm just over them.

Is there anything i can do to stop it? or do i stop free ranging them together ?

2. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Thats a great question! I have one Roo that has always been pretty docile. I had him since he was born. But for the last month or two, he has been mean to the hens. I wonder if it has something to do with the cooler weather. I know I been ready to stew him. [​IMG]

3. Christie Loves Silkies

My really mean roo I've been wanting him to go for months.
    My other rooster is fine and is friendly towards me.

Would it be okay to take the mean one away from one of my older hens, cause she grew up with him

4. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    Introduce them from separated pens. Throwing them all in together causes everyone to vy for pecking order without checking everyone out first.

Also, you need to manager your Roo to hen ratio. You had way too many roo's for one hen in your last flock you rehomed and these three hens are not enough for two roo's. If you want nice roo's, you better get some more hens.....like a dozen more!

There's lots of info on here regarding Roo to hen ratio. You'll enjoy everyone much more when there's a better balance.

5. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I believe in tough love with a rooster. When they mount and herd the girls around you, they are telling you they are the dominant roo. I kick mine off. Then, I get my hands on the said girl and pat her while shes egg squatting and glare at my boys so they know that I am the dominant one. I also chase mine around if they start getting cocky with me. I will not tolerate a mean roo. My Australorp used to be pretty good with the girls until lately. He tries to challenge me and he's been getting rough with my girls. Yep, I spend at least 30mins chasing him around and if he flaps his wings, comes back into my space, tries the wing dance or anything at all that I dislike, I will chase him around again. If I can get close enough, he gets a foot up his butt, too. He's heading to the processor soon... I never planned on keeping him anyways.

6. Christie Loves Silkies

I have 5 hens all up inculding the 2 that arnt free ranging right now.
    One rooster is getting the boot in a week or so.
    and the other one too possibly.

7. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    my silkie roo when he mounts he is very rough, and he is 4 time their size! he literally squashes them!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

What kind of roosters are they?

9. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    Quote:mine silkies, christies, silkies. and so are the hens. thats all christie has. and i got other chooks then silkies but the ones he is with are just silkies.

10. Christie Loves Silkies

Yeahh all of mine are silkies.
    Thanks for answering that question for me. [​IMG]
    I didn't notice it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by