I'm feeding them to the cats

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kinnip, Aug 7, 2008.

1. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    If I have to go through another night without sleep, I'll go nuts. I have 9 cute as pie fuzzy EEs in the brooder. The brooder, unfortunately, is in the house. The chicks, also unfortunately, are nocturnal. They have food and water and comfy quarters with warm spots and cool spots and everything a little chickie could want. They cheep all night. One of them quite loudly. I'm hoping it's a phase and they'll get bored hearing themselves talk. In about half an hour, they'll be asleep and I'll be knackered. I feel like spending the day hovering over the brooder waking them whenever they doze off. I've tried making it dark (except the heat lamp). I've tried turning on more lights. They just like to do their sleeping in the day, and there's still not much of it. I wish I could give them some benedryl.

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Try putting them as far away from your room as possible and sleep with a fan on. That's what we do! The chicks were housed on the other end of the house and we run a fan all night long! I've never heard them peeping once unless I got up to check on the kids. But not while I was sleeping anyways. Good luck with those little party animals! [​IMG]

3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

Seriously though, you could try to keep them up in the evenings. Maybe then they would be tired out and sleep during the night. I know we had to do this with kittens I hand raised or they kept me up all night.

Good luck!

I like gumpsgirls idea too!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  4. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Maybe if I put them in the neighbor's basement? I've never heard such a din. These little fuzz butts could drown out a Nine Inch Nails concert!

5. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    What about a basement or garage? that is where my brooder goes after the hatch. as long as it is set up like you said with warm and cool spots, feed and water, they will be fine.

6. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    mine are in the living room. Makes watching tv a bit loud. But they have never kept us awake. With ANY luck, and the graces from above.. they will have their coop finished this weekend.
    Crossing fingers. Gazing skyward

7. kaya's farm

kaya's farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    southern VT
    wow i cant beleive they are that loud!!! I had 70 inside this spring and they never woke any of us. One morning we did wake up to our two year old sleeping in front of the box:)
    The fan idea seems like a good one and i always turned of the regular light at night and only left the red light on.

8. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

What color light do you have? Mine had a red heat lamp and they quieted down right at sundown. There were 15 of them, right next to my son's room, he was dreading them, but surprisingly they were quiet. Just a thought....

9. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    I had 10 in a brooder in the guest room, the floor below my older son's bedroom. The mutt dog sleeps in his room and would bark in the middle of the night, often- like every two hours - because the chicks were making such a ruckus....

Ha! I thought I was the only one with party-chicks... I think the fan idea is a good one. Something with white noise. I had to put music on for the dog so he wouldn't wake up and wake me up with his barking.

10. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    oh I miss the sound of chickies peeping during the night. We have the incubators right at the bottom of the steps and our BR is at the top of those steps. I loved to wake up and hear them hatching and making their little noises...now all of the eggs are outside under broody hens. I'm thinking of taking some of them near the end and putting them in the bator just so we can watch and hear them....good luck!
    Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by