I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by julie42a, Oct 11, 2014.

1. julie42a

julie42a Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2014
    Aberdeen, SD
    So I'm going to list what I have going on and hopefully someone can help me decide what the best course of action is.
    My two big red chickens (hybrids of unknown origin) have runny poop that sticks to their "fluff" a lot of the time. They also seem to have a LOT of urates, which also stick to their feathers. One of them has what appears to be dry pox on her comb and wattles-this one recently started laying soft shelled eggs again after finally settling into laying normal ones, but I think maybe that's from the pox? The other one sneezes rather loudly once in awhile, usually while she's eating, and sometimes has clear nasal discharge and/or dirty nostrils.

I have a California White who seems fine except for dirty nostrils (nares?) all the time and occasional clear nasal discharge.
    All of the above chickens are approximately 26 weeks old.

I have two SLW pullets who haven't started laying yet. They were purchased May 31 at about a week old. I hear one of them sneeze at night sometimes, and see clear nasal discharge from both at night (never during the day, its weird). The one has normal looking poop that smells ridiculously bad all the time. The other has occasional weird slimy yellowish stuff in with her poop (not like egg, but not white either).
    Everybody is eating and drinking and active. They were wormed at the end of last month with Safeguard for 5 days and then 14 days later were given one more dose. I've kinda been watching and waiting, but I feel like maybe I need to do something before a big respiratory problem happens? I bought some Terramycin, but I haven't used it yet. I was considering worming again with Valblazen? And I have Flagyl for people on hand. There are just so many things out there and I don't want to lose anyone! Maybe I'm overthinking things????

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sneezing and nasal drainage can be signs of a respiratory disease, such as infectious bronchitis, MG, and others. It's not uncommon for chickens to sneeze, especially when eating or in dusty conditions. Respiratory diseases can occur more easily in dusty, too warm, too wet (where mold can form) conditions. Keeping excellent ventilation high up in the coop, and keeping everything as clean and dry as possible can really help prevent diseases. Some diseases are viruses (which do not respond to antibiotics, and have to run their course,) bacterial or mycoplasma, or from mold such as aspergillosis. The terramycin (oxytetracycline) is one of the common ones to treat respiratory diseases or to prevent secondary infections, but it will treat symptoms, not cure the disease since most of these are chronic diseases that make carriers of the flock.

You may want to trim the excess fluff off the hens who have the messy vent areas. Cecal poop which occurs about every 8-10 poops, and is especially stinky, sticky, and resembles chocolate syrup or caramel sometimes, is normal. The famous poop charts can give you a little idea of how each poop can vary, but drinking too much water, eating too many treats, may affect the as well. http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive.html If there is any respiratory disease, that can cause diarrhea.

As far as worming, I think you probably are safe with the SafeGuard worming for now. Where you live, worming should not be necessary that often--maybe twice a year. Valbazen is great to use to rotate wormers though next time.
    Here is the poultry common disease link that contains info on the resp diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. julie42a

May 30, 2014
    Aberdeen, SD
    Well I just did a big clean out last week and replaced the shavings I had been using with sand, and put sand on the floor of their run as well. Its a bit dusty, but definitely drier and warmer than before, and so much cleaner! I am a bit worried about mold I guess, because I let them play in the yard for a couple hours every day and they go straight for the compost pile and dig around in it. And they love whats left of the mulch in my flower beds (I need to re think that next year). Our weather was really wet at the end of August and beginning of September, and that's when I first noticed any issues.
    I don't want to give them antibiotics if they don't need them and then have them not work later when they do. But I also don't want to miss something serious until its too late.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I use sand in my run, but pine shavings in my coop. I'm curious to see if you will like using sand in your coop in such a cold winter climate. I've heard that sand is very cold in winter time, and I hope that it is warm enough for you. In summer, I think everyone like it. I'm not a big fan of medicating chickens for every little thing, but I would keep an eye on the symptoms. If you see any eye or facial swelling, then I would probably treat only sick birds, but not the whole flock.

5. julie42a

May 30, 2014
    Aberdeen, SD
    I'm wondering how its going to go too, but so far I really like it in there. I've got it about 3 inches deep and I'm aiming for six when I'm done hauling it all. I chose to put it in there because the floor was plywood right above the ground, and it freezes very solidly here and I wanted to provide some insulation from the cold ground. And on the nights we'vr had recently that have droppped into the 20's its stayed surprisingly warm in there, even though I haven't put up any insulation yet. (I'm going to staple up some foam board on the ceiling and walls when my husband shows me how to use his air stapler). And it is just so much easier to clean! That part is really nice.
    I heard my other big red chicken sneeze really loud today so I'm not sure what to think. She LOOKS better, and laid a normal egg, so I don't know if the sneeze was just random or a cause for concern. Everybody is out in the yard this afternoon because I'm supposed to be moving sand :)

6. julie42a

May 30, 2014
    Aberdeen, SD
    Well I went out to make sure everyone was dry because it rained for awhile this evening, and while I was out there everyone sneezed at least once so I'm thinking it may be time for an antibiotic. I hate to, i got 3 nice eggs today. Throwing them out just drives me crazy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by