I'm finally ready to be a chicken mama!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by newchickie2, Feb 18, 2013.

1. newchickie2

newchickie2 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2013
    Maricopa, Arizona
    My name is Anne and I live in the Phoenix area in Arizona. I'm an elementary school teacher with two lovable English Bulldogs. I've been a vegetarian for about 4 years and as I was researching farm animals over the last few years to find out how amazing they are as creatures rather than dinner - I fell in love with chickens (don't worry I will not bash any meat-eaters - I was too most of my life). To learn that they are intelligent, loving and affectionate, captured my interest and heart. I have wanted to raise chickens for years. Today, at my local Pet Club there were baby chicks for sale. I am in LOVE. After many questions from me to the young sales associate, I decided to go home and prepare before making the purchase. I only want two. They are very young and there are two different breeds. The Americanus and something with Red in the name. The Americanus were so beautiful I didn't really pay attention to the others but from the forum it looks like they are not very friendly. I would hope mine will be friendly eventually but I do understand it is up to the individual. What if I purchase one of each? I am planning on making my purchase tomorrow after school. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

I would like to attempt to build my own coop over the next few weeks for the yard. I have never built anything before but I have a hammer and a brain... I am hoping with some wood I can figure something out. I'll definitely be needing advice for that as well hah!

Thanks!

2. rachlore

rachlore Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2012
    Southern US
    It's so wonderful that you have started chickens! I have small little advice tid bits you might find helpful. I'm guessing you already know the basics in what to feed chickens, coop designs you like, and predator proof coops, but if not i suggest looking it up on google or something. I have a very helpful hint of PAINTING the floor of the coop. This smooths out all the cracks or crevices poop and hay can fall into. It makes cleaning SO much easier. I would also say to give them cross ventilation. This helps avoid respiratory problems. Hope this helps[​IMG]

3. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    I love my chickens!

Hi from KY!

[​IMG]

4. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings newchickie2, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! You sound very committed to chickens - that is good. Here are a few links that ight help you as you go along. Your "red" chicken...might also have been one of the following: Production Red or New Hampshie Red. Best of luck and most importantly - have fun with your new pets!!

For when they are chicks, post questions, get advice and knowledge here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks

For general chicken raising info, look here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

And for coop ideas, look here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined BYC. Have fun with your new chicks

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. newchickie2

newchickie2 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2013
    Maricopa, Arizona
    Just got my babies today after work today - a Rhode Island Red and an Americanaus. They are pretty mellow. I was so excited I forgot to ask how old they are. I just struggled a bit to get a poop clump off my RIR's little tush after reading a scary post on 'pasting'. Hopefully we are in the clear literally. Thanks for all the advice so far next step is the coop. I am so not handy... I am wondering if there is a cool kind of coop I can come up with some plastic milk crates or things that already have a structure that I can just piece together and add a creative roof and easy to clean flooring... I don't know I'll have to keep looking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by