I'm Freakin' OUT!!

BrazellDazell

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 20, 2011
Genoa
sad.png
Got my very first batch of chicks today, I got 12 Assorted Polish. So far 11 of them are doing great! Everyone was a little tattered after the trip but once I got them in the brooder and they figured out where the water was they all perked up Really quickly............except 1 she is not taking water, she will attempt a peck at it every once in awhile but she looks drunk. She misses the water, I tried gently placing her beak in the water, she will then tilt her head back like the others, and seems eager. She is a lot weaker than the others and I'm afraid I'm stressing her out. She stays off to one side alone, while the others are hopping and chirping. Should I keep trying to force water down her? or leave her alone to rest awhile?? Should i separate her from the others? Help I don't want to lose her, she is also the smallest of the 12.
hit.gif

Make sure the water has electrolyes in it and maybe even some sugar for her if she is so weak/stressed. I would definitely keep helping her get some water or even hold her and, using a small syringe, place a drop of sugar/elecrtolyte water along her beak - she should open her beak and take it in. Once she does, you can do another drop - just don't do too much at once with such a small creature. As long as the others are not hurting her, leave her with them - if they are all over her, she may be better of being placed in her own warm area so you can tend to her easily.

Try some water with a little sugar, a tablespoon to a quart. If you have anything like a chick-starter electrolyte around, mix that in -- all the better. If she's dozy, it's likely more about metabolism than fluids.

I bought some packets of Sav-A-Chick electrolyte and vitamin supplement for their water. The others are ignoring her as of now.How often should I try to give her water?

I'd try giving her some drop-wise until she stops taking it - then try again in 30 minutes to an hour. She will sort of set the pace for you - if she takes in the drops, keep giving her some. If she doesn't, then wait a little longer. Hopefully the sugar and electrolyes and vitamins in the water will perk her up.

Quote:
You might try isolating her for a bit to help.

Animals are odd in that, if they are down or on their last legs, they will lay down and wait to die or be killed. It's what they do.

If your chick is as stressed as that, she may be intimidated by nothing more than the normal activity of the others. Try getting her off by herself for a half or full day with water (Good job on geting the electrolytes!) of her own. If she perks up, put her right back in with the rest before she loses too much ground in earning her place int he pecking order.

Other hand, be prepared to lose her. Sad. No fun, but it happens whether you hatch you own or have day-olds shipped.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I had that happen too. My 15th of the pack, a little golden laced wyandotte was so weak that it wouldn't even take water in. I tried hard to get her to drink something but just about 30 minutes after we got home it died. I had counted on something like this happening so I wasn't too surprised or distressed. It's still sad though.

I have been reading posts on this site for a while now but never registered until today. We raise a variety of poultry in all classes...show, egg, meat, and a few just because we like them. Due to the quantity, we cull ANY bird showing acute symptoms of illness and remove the carcass from contact with other poultry. We do this primarily because birds which display symptoms are often too far gone to save and because failure to do so is putting your other birds at serious risk. You only have to have one serious disease decimate your flock before you get the picture. In this case the chick simply sounds stressed and isolation would be our first course. Dip the bill gently in the water a few times over a couple hours. Under no circumstances return this bird to the brooder until it is lively and a suitable quarantine period has passed. It's place in the "pecking order" is not your problem. Possibly infecting the others is. Play it safe and consider the others.

Back
Top Bottom