Im freaking out!!! UPDATE pg 2

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sheila3935, Mar 14, 2011.

1. sheila3935

sheila3935 Songster

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    DD and I are in St. Louis 150 miles from home. I go out to put antifreeze in the car cause it was low before we were to head out for home. I BROKE MY CAR KEY!!! It has a chip in the key so now I have to have the car towed to a dealership to have a key made. Why didnt I have an extra made before we left? Why was I stupid and broke the key? I have to be checked out of the hotel by noon or pay for another night and I didnt take enough money with me, and I have chickies with me. Dh is putting more money on my card. I know everything will be ok, but I am just freaking out. Sorry I just had to tell someone. Oh by the way ITS SNOWING TOO. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  2. ChickyLaura

ChickyLaura The Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2009
    Eastern/Central PA
    Oh no! I get major anxiety with stuff like this, so, try to take a deep breath... This will work out somehow... Imagine yourself at home by tomorrow (hopefully later today), drinking a nice cup of hot tea... This will work out! I'll be thinking about you!!! And, stinking snow! Argh!!!

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Songster

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I know when we came down here Saturday it was almost 70 degrees now it is snowing. Big giant flakes they are saying 1-3 inches. I have to make a decision before noon about the hotel room. I cant have my chickies out in the cold. I wish I could go back to sleep and start this morning over. And to make it worse my DH laughed at me. Guess that was better than yelling.

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] Awww, I'm sorry for your trouble! But it sounds like you at least have the resources to remedy the problem, even though it's going to still take your time & effort. I pray that you, your DD, and the chickies get home safely & soon.

I really don't like those car keys that have the imaginary chip in them that supposedly make your vehicle more theft-proof. And that cost 80 times more than a regular metal key to replace! I figure that there are car thieves with the same level of intelligence as the car manufacturers, and that they're just as busy working on ways to circumvent anti-theft devices as the engineers are in inventing them. I wish you could at least have the option of choosing a regular key or a chip key for your car.

Stay warm & safe, let us know when you & your chickens arrive home safely!

5. ChickyLaura

ChickyLaura The Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2009
    Eastern/Central PA
    Yep, I think I would much rather have my DH laugh at me than yell at me. Do you know how long it will take the dealership get the car and the key made?

Maybe it's just better to get the hotel room tonight so this all can be worked out, and then you hopefully won't have to worry about driving 150 miles in the snow. It sounds like you're stressed, so maybe you could just "relax" for another night in your hotel room, and hopefully be on your way tomorrow? Just a suggestion! Then you would know that the chicks would be warm in the hotel room.

6. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Quote:I agree. The only car we have like that right now is my sons car. We bought it used of course and it only came with one key. Sure would be nice to be able to go to the hardware store and have a $2 copy made, but no its an $80 key that needs to be ordered by a dealership. Someone told us that you can have that chip "shut off" [​IMG] Has anyone heard of that?

To the OP I am sorry too. I am one to freak out at things like that too. Like someone else said. Take a deep breath and push forward step by step. You do have all the resources to get through this it is very scary and frustrating though. Picture yourself at home. Then give your self a giant pat on the back for figuring it all out [​IMG]

7. biddybird

biddybird Songster

May 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    Best of luck and hope the rest of your day goes better! Be careful, take a deep breath and remember this is just one of those days to remember. It will all be over and good soon.

8. fishin-nole

fishin-nole Chirping

Feb 17, 2011
    It should only take and hour or so after they get the car. Get 2 made, you can have a cheap key made that will allow you to open the doors and trunk, it just won't start the car. You don't want to know what a lazer cut key cost from VW, MB, BMW, and others.

You may not have to be towed, they may be able to cut a key from your VIN, call and ask.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  9. sheila3935

sheila3935 Songster

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Ok here is the latest update. We booked the hotel for another night. Oldest DD says the interstates til you get into Illinois are really bad. Called the tow truck and the driver told me that a locksmith can make me a key from my VIN number and with my roadside service can bring it to the hotel for alot cheaper then taking it to the dealer. He is checking everything for me and is going to call back to let me know he even said that might be covered by the roadside. That would be cool. I am a little calmer now. Thank you all for letting me rant and for all your kindness it is really appreciated. [​IMG]

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Jeez, Sheila you got it bad! Now go and RELAX!

Decatur has NO snow yet but it has a bite in the air, I mean, COLD! My sister lives outside of Decatur, no snow there either at this time.

St Louis is another matter, one thing it would be beautiful and the next, it could be nasty!

AND get the key instead of the chip and all that electronic gadgets. No wonder I hated electronic everything on dashboard and security. POS if you ask me! My uncle who owns a garage, said once your battery is out, it is difficult to do anything on the car when it is so dependent on electronics. Forget about the electric starter too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: