1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

I'm frustrated. But am I out of line?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by sixlittlechicks09, Aug 15, 2010.

1. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Songster

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Meh. So today, my DF gets on my case about "One of those bleep roosters needing to go." I calmly replied "Oh yeah? Why's that?" to which he started on one of his trademark rants about how "Back in MY day people didn't keep worthless animals around, those roosters aren't laying eggs, all they're doing is gobbling down feed, blahblahblah eventually turns to my generation being worthless and ignorant, whatever." So I just kind of sat there listening to him, I don't see any reason for the roos to go. We have 21 chickens total. My mom bought the first six, I bought the rest, (all as less than week old chicks) I raised them, but I built the coop, I feed/water/collect the eggs every day. I make sure they don't have diseases, I even did bumblefoot surgery last week (bleck by the way) Honestly, my Dad has had no involvement with these chickens, except for helping butcher our 6 meaties a few months ago. Out of our 21 chickens we have 4 roosters. One VERY quite, very tame OEGB, another pretty little (sort of loud, but we live in the middle of nowhere so we'ves) OEGB and two beautiful, gentle RIRs. None of these roos have ever attacked anyone (trust me, they'd be gone in a heartbeat if they did) our chickens are FREE RANGE during the day, and the little scratch that I throw out for them I buy. I am returning to college in about a month, but I've already talked to my mom about it, and she's fine with feeding/watering/collecting eggs until I come home on break (as long as I put in little doors so she doesn't have to actually "go in" with the big ugly chickens [​IMG] but she's doing it, so I'm not complaining) I really don't see were he has any right to tell me what THREE roosters need to be slaughtered. But to be fair, I'd like to hear what my fellow BYC'ers think. Am I truly just being a "Ignorant, tree hugging, hippie"? Or am I right in thinking as long as my four boys aren't killing eachother, ripping up the hens or attacking anyone who ventures into our yard, there's no NEED for them to be dispatched? I like the idea of having them around because I've seen the four of them ganging up and beating the tar out of our neighbors weenie dogs, protecting the hens.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, if they're not attacking people, or ripping the backs off of your hens, or waking up the neighbors crowing in the morning, then, I would be OK with it.......I'm a 47 year old mom of 4. Good luck!

3. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Songster

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    My humble opinion? Your chickens, your choice. And protecting the hens would be a good enough reason to me to keep them all. I read somewhere that the average chicken eats about 7cents worth of feed a day. That's about $25 in feed a year. That's less than a tank of gas for me.

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:What? 7 cents? Dang! Mine are hogs!!! [​IMG]

5. sixlittlechicks09

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Ugh, alright, I feel better. And yeah, we go thru a 11$ bag of scratch grain (and now a 14$ bag of laying pellets) every three-ish months, and I buy it! I try to be understanding when my parents tell me things I don't quite agree with, and at least see it from their side, but I just can't see his side on this.

On a side note, WOW! Seriously? I heard somewere that dogs feed costs are like 6k a year, per dog! Chickens = WAY more economical!

6. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN

Pshhhhhh yeah mine too!

OP~The only reason I see that he has a point is it IS his house and they wILL have to take care of them as you go off to college. They may be keeping him irritated with their crowing. DH gets upset wth ours sometimes, as do I myself. Considering how sweet they are being to let you keep them there while you go off to college...I'd consider rehoming 2 just to meet him in the middle ya know? Two can still whip a weenie dog I believe. [​IMG]

7. PamB

PamB Songster

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    [​IMG] I'm sorry your father is being this way. I think that if you take care of the chickens, then he should be okay with you having them. However, if it is his house/land, then that kind of creates a problem that you will have to somehow work out with him. I wish you luck!!

8. sixlittlechicks09

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing

Pshhhhhh yeah mine too!

OP~The only reason I see that he has a point is it IS his house and they wILL have to take care of them as you go off to college. They may be keeping him irritated with their crowing. DH gets upset wth ours sometimes, as do I myself. Considering how sweet they are being to let you keep them there while you go off to college...I'd consider rehoming 2 just to meet him in the middle ya know? Two can still whip a weenie dog I believe. [​IMG]

Yeah that's the major basis of his argument right now, "His house, therefor His chickens." But then I question "If they're your chickens, why don't you take care of them?" It's frustrating. And I could see the roosters crowing bothering him EXCEPT my dear dad is deaf as a stone. Well, maybe not that bad, but my friends think my family is constantly fighting because you have to yell everything you say to him and even then he doesn't usually have a clue what you're saying. "DAD, I'M GOING TO WALMART, DO YOU NEED ANYTHING" "No, your mother found it in the laundry room." [​IMG] So I'm knocking that off his con list. Thanks for everyones input so far, I feel better and am starting to see were he's coming from. Still think he's wrong, but at least now I see were he's coming from.

9. AmySue

AmySue In the Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    Cincinnati
    I'm impressed with your maturity and sense of responsibility, and your father should be proud. [​IMG]

Will your mom speak up on your behalf? As long as he doesn't have to care for them or pay for them, I can't see why you can't keep your boys. Just my 2 cents.

10. sixlittlechicks09

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Quote:Thanks. I'm pretty lucky my parents brought me up the way they did, [​IMG] there was never a "Because I said so" in my house, it was always explained to me why had to/couldn't do something. And my parents never really treated me as a "kid" from as early as I can remember I was expected to act "right" ie, not carry on, throw fits, act like a baby, ect. So while they were (and are) pretty strict, I'm glad they've taught me to stay level headed, even when I get mad.

Anyway Mom tries to "stay out of our bickerings" She told me that she doesn't see a reason for the roos to go, but she doesn't see any particular reason for them to stay either. She's pretty neutral on the whole chicken thing. She got chickens for eggs and because she always had them on the farm when she was a kid and because she knew I'd take care of them [​IMG] (she knows I simply adore any kind of animal). But she's always telling me that "The chickens you are raising ARE NOT the chickens I raised as a kid." I guess when she was young, the roosters were mean, the hens got butchered at two years old because they stopped laying and no one EVER thought of "cuddling" or naming a chicken. She enjoys sitting by the coop and watching their antics as much as I do, but I'm afraid when it comes right down to it, she doesn't care if they're squawking in the yard or stewing in the pot [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by