I'm gettin old...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickinlickin, Oct 19, 2009.

1. chickinlickin

chickinlickin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Ohio
    I'm gettin old and soft.

I've hunted deer for the last 35 years. Never have killed one with a bow, but have taken probably 30 deer over the years. We eat all we kill and look forward to filling the freezer. A buddy has gotten me interested in shooting a bow....so I picked up used one and have worked real hard to learn to shoot over the last year. And was really lookin forward to bow season....deer are plentiful and need to be thinned out around here. I got a special antlerless deer permit to go along with my regular tag.

Worked hard at scouting and have 3 tree stands up. Last evening was just a beautiful time to be in the woods. So I am all camo'd up and am ready for action.

I saw doe and a yearling working their way up the trail towards my stand. My heart started pounding....The young one (probably 3/4 grown) was ahead of the doe....running around like a little puppy. I tried hard not to think about the fact that this was a mother and youngster. The doe was taking her time. After about 20 minutes, the young one went back to it's mother and started nuzzling her!! [​IMG] .... I figured out right then that I wasn't gonna be able to shoot!.... Mind you they are within 10 yards of my treestand. They kind of headbutted.... and the youngster would run it's head down the length of mom's neck...over and over again. Then the mother started to lick the youngster's face...cleaning it's eyes and ears. The yearling tried to nurse, but mom gave it a quick kick...

I put the arrow back in the quiver and just enjoyed watching them for the next 40 minutes. I don't know what will happen the next time out, but last night was just great! I am, however, probably an embarrassment to a lot of my bowhunting buddies. [​IMG]

2. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    NO! That was an awesome moment of nature you just witnessed!
    I could understand not shooting that..
    And trust me...Im SO ready to shoot and eat my first deer!!!!

3. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Nah I woulda been the same way... like you said the deer are plentiful... these two just werent the ones meant for you. [​IMG]

Nancy

4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I'm a hardcore deer hunter, but I always let the Mama's with babies walk. I can't be the one that takes that babies Mama away and then sit there and wonder what the youngster will do. I know they are wild animals and they will learn to live on their own, but they are such majestic animals. It's always great to watch them in the woods. I had two spotted fawns play under my treestand fo an hour last year and they were just too cool. I sat there and wondered who shot their Mama because she was never anywhere around.

5. chickinlickin

Apr 29, 2009
    Ohio
    I may start carrying a video camera in my pack. Wish I had it yesterday...

6. chickinlickin

Apr 29, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:This is my first experience hunting this early in the year...gun season is the end of Nov/first of Dec....and gun season is not as "up close and pesonal"...[​IMG]

7. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I have nothing against hunting- deer are over-populated, and if you're going to use every part you can- why not?
    My father and I raised 2 deer, with a permit from the game warden, that had been orphaned as babies by poachers. We drove 30 miles every week to get them goats milk and bottle feed them. They were beautiful animals- very much like big dogs. This was almost 20 years ago, and my father hasn't hunted since.

8. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    It's not called being an embarassment, it's called respecting the prey. If you can't respect the prey then you really loose the true value of what it really means to be a hunter.

I've hunted for 10 years now, and that is the most important thing I was taught and I won't ever forget it. If I do, it's time to hang up the bow for good

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  9. chickinlickin

Apr 29, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:You are right. I guess I do have a great respect for the prey I hunt. I've always felt you owe it to the animal to do things "right" ....never really thought about it, just did it. Thanks for pointing it out.

btw - where were all you bowhunting ladies before I got married ? [​IMG]

10. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Quote:You are not getting old and you are definately not getting soft... a true hunters heart perhaps... I hope there are many many many more like you in the world...... Bravo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by