I'm getting 2 Domestic Mallards!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SkyWarrior, Jul 10, 2010.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    A lady is giving me two female Mallards who are laying. [​IMG] I have geese, turkeys and chickens, but no ducks yet. What advice would you give me, given I do have other birds? [​IMG]

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Congrats! I have 3 mallards and 3 Cayugas....I would simply say...enjoy your ducks and get ready for a water show!!! They are VERY messy but are worth it IMO. I love mine. Here is a pic of my Drake and his girls...
    [​IMG]

and the baby Cayugas ( supposed to be all girls)

[​IMG]

I found this forum to be the BEST resource for info on my ducks and chickens (and still do). I am new to this myself so I can't really offer too much except to say...CONGRATS! and POST pics please! [​IMG]

3. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    I shall post picts. Found out the person actually owns a book I wrote, so I told her to bring it so I could sign it. Very cool. She told me they're laying a broody. I think I'm going to get some good eggs out of this. [​IMG]

4. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    [​IMG] Sounds like a lot of excitement for you! Don't forget the pics [​IMG]

5. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:Yes! And your ducks are beautiful! [​IMG] I think they must be a lot of fun for you.

6. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Yes...I LOVE my ducks! They are a bit timid when you try to pick them up, but after all they are prey animals so I understand! They do jump right into their pool when I call them and have their treat in my hand...talking at me the whole time.So cute! I cannot wait to build our real pond for them and decorate their run. It could get pricey but...wouldn't be the first time [​IMG] Here is a pic of the (unfinished) run the first day using it for them. They come inside to a "brooder" box at night for now...need to build the duck hut soon...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by