I'm getting 5 Australorp hens this evening

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RubberChickenLubber, Nov 29, 2007.

1. RubberChickenLubber

RubberChickenLubber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    Finally getting hens again, after all the fox madness. These laying hens and getting all 5 of them for $20. It's a 4h kid that's wanting to get into showing, and wants to get rid of all but his show breed.

I think we have our fox problem pretty much taken care of. We ran electric fence around the outside of the run about 3 inches up. That way if it tries to dig, it'll hit the fence.

[​IMG]

2. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    WOOHOO!

The more the merrier!!

3. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Australorps are awesome!!!!

4. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Oooo You are going to love them! I love my Australorp, so sweet and friendly.

The only issue I have with her is she's gone broody 3 times and left the nest each time at 15 days. :thun

5. broncbuster07

broncbuster07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2007
    Waxahachie, TX
    Australorps are an excellent choice for layers. They are also a docile breed. Best wishes for your new girls.

6. RubberChickenLubber

RubberChickenLubber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    Australorpes were my first breed, they just got ate, and not by me. I love them.

7. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    I love our Australorp. She is absolutely beautiful with these large, liquid, dark eyes and markings like eyeliner around them. She is very people-oriented and talks to us in an adorable, breathy voice. Sometimes she skweeks. Love her!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  8. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    The oldest bird I ever had was an Australorp - my Alice. She lived to be 11 and still layed eggs for me. She was the queen of the roost right up to the end!

9. okto

okto Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2007
    los angeles
    please post pics when you get them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by