I'm getting a Call duck....Anything special I need to know?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chiko, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    I'm going to buy a White Call duck from the State Fair this sunday, Is there anything I should know? I've raised ducks before and I'm just wondering if Call ducks are different from regular larger ducks....Right now I have one Crested Pekin. Will they become friends or will the call duck need a call duck buddy? Can call ducks live with Chickens? I have a huge pen with 6 hens and 1 duck in it. Can I keep the call duck with them? The duck has her on nice nest on the ground protected from weather and there is a big pool where they can swim. Anything else would be appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  2. AliciaM

AliciaM Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    My ducks and chickens and 3 geese all live together. My ducks dont go into the chicken coop with the chickens very often, but I have locked them in there on occasion.. depending on the weather..
    Right now, I have 9 call ducks.

LOL.. Sorry.. I just reread the post about the Pekin having HER own nest.. LOL.. I dont see a problem as long as the Pekin doesnt try to mount the call in a dominate thing...

Also.. give the call duck a ramp into and out of the water.. just in case...

3. DuckyGurl

DuckyGurl Overrun With Chickens

I always get Calls in pairs. I dunno about chickens. I have two White Calls, a drake and hen, as well as a Campbell/Pekin hen. They get along fine, once they sorted the pecking order out fairly quickly. Calls think they are huge, even tho tiny! Giant attitudes.
    I will post again if I think of anything else!
    Oh, make sure that the Call can get in and out of the pool. They are fairly quick, but may need some help. And they CAN fly if wings aren't clipped.

4. DuckyGurl

DuckyGurl Overrun With Chickens

blurb

5. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    Thank you both. My Crested Pekin IS a female. She's very sweet so I don't think there will be any problems. I will set up a separate area for the call duck to sleep in. I'll use a large dog crate and fill it with straw. Thats how my pekin sleeps. Hopefully the call duck will to. And Duckygurl, THANK YOU for telling me that they fly. I will be sure to clip her wings before I let her out of the carrier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by