1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm getting a coop...YAHOO! Finished Pics

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by andisgarden, Apr 7, 2009.

1. andisgarden

andisgarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    My husband went to the lumber yard and got into the culled lumber pile and he got T1-11 for 5 bucks a seet 3/4 inch and several 3/4in plywood sheets and some sheathing for the roof.. So he got all of my wood and 4 windows 12.50 each for about 150.00 YAHOO.

He promptly came home and framed the floor and walls and set the windows. Today he is putting up the siding and building the trusses. It is looking good. The dimensions are 8x10. Here's a pic of his progress.

[​IMG]

Do you think it would be okay to put a little chicken ramp and door in my big door? Because of the spacing of the windows it is really not going to work to put it under the windows. We had to space the windows like this because he is building me flower boxes to put between the windows.

Thanks for looking

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  2. countrygirlatheart

countrygirlatheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Huffman Texas
    [​IMG] woohoo!! so far so good. as far as the door goes, my suggestion would be to look at putting it on the side (left?). that way, you aren't tripping over the plank and they have "light" at the door. Just my suggestion.[​IMG]

3. andisgarden

Mar 14, 2009
    Well on the left he is putting the nest boxes on the outside so I can just lift the door and get the eggs... I am stumped on this one. Maybe he can put the ramp as far to the right of the door as possible and it will be mostly out of the way. Or, perhaps they can use my steps to get in and forget the ramp. Would that work?

4. Yontz710

Yontz710 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2009
    Looks really nice. What about a drop ramp cut into the floor under your coop? I don't know how well that would work, but they could get in and out, put in the right place it would be out of the way. When open you could clean out the hutch that way as well, depending on the room you have under the coop on the right side, a wheelbarrow might even fit under there and just sweep the bedding right into it.

5. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    The coop is looking great! Regarding a ramp, we had a wooden ramp and I kept dealing with bumblefoot. The vet said it probably was caused by the ramp giving splinters. We switched to cinder blocks piled like steps and haven't had a problem since.
    Enjoy!

6. crazy for chicken

crazy for chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Voorheesville
    you lucky dog i wish my hubby would do that for me [​IMG][​IMG]

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    It looks REALLY nice! If it were me, though, I'd probably remove one of the bottom windows. There will be more than enough light with just two, three is actually more than you'll need. You CAN just allow them to use your steps up to the main door, but bear in mind they'll have lots of poop on them that you'll be stepping in...

Can't WAIT to see the completed project!

8. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    You mean to tell me that all that lumber used to build that only cost $150, WITH the windows?

[​IMG]

Wish I could hit on a deal like that.

9. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    wow great deals and great start to a nice looking coop [​IMG]

10. andisgarden

Mar 14, 2009
    Yep, all the wood was 5.00 a sheet the only damage was minor on one corner and it was soo minimal it was worth it. The windows were samples that they used on the floor and are low E glass and everything.. the little stinkers will have a nice place to roost. I think the windows are nicer then ours in our house

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by