I'm getting a few new babies - so excited! Cream Legbars, anyone?

ChickenFajita6

Songster
Apr 1, 2017
Our original flock of 6 that we got back in March quickly became a flock of 4 when two of our pullets ended up being roos. I've wanted to have a few more for a while, but was waiting for the weather to cool down before we started trying to raise babies in the garage again (it is an OVEN in there in the summer), and I was hesitant to introduce adults and end up with ladies fighting. I am hoping that by starting with younger girls I can slowly introduce them and allow them to play together over a few weeks until they're big enough to go all in. Maybe that will make the process smoother. But what do I know.
My current girls are 7 months now, and the babies I am picking up are 3 weeks old. I am thinking they'll do about 10 weeks inside before I try to move them out.

I am really excited about the breed after reading up on them! Does anyone else here have Cream Legbars? I am so looking forward to blue eggs. :)

I dont bother keeping them seperated ... just bang them together from day 1 and let them sort their own stuff out ... they will need to sort out the heirachy at some point ...

I wouldn't just "bang" 3 week old chicks into a flock of 7 month olds.
Too cold here to even turn 3 week olds outside.
Stick to your plan.

Yes. I have a twelve week old pullet and tried to put her in with my year old hens. They pecked at her and we had to move her. She’s staying separated from the bigger girls until she’s bigger and able to stand up to the older girls. I would stick to your plan and try to introduce the new girls slowly and make sure they get used to each other.
Definitely don’t try and “bang” any of them in there. Hope this helps! :)

Oh yes, they are definitely being housed separately for a while anyway. Even if they were the same age I'd keep them apart for at least 2 weeks to make sure everyone is healthy. I love my other girls too much to risk their health!
But they're still so young, and we are just starting to get cool nights, so I want to keep their temp a little more regulated until they have all their feathers. Hopefully in about 2 weeks I can take them out into the yard to meet the others and have some playtime, and within 2 months they might be ready for the move. I'm planning to get 3 to keep the numbers a little more balanced, hopefully they'll integrate better that way.
Although I am sure my crazy chicken Fajita will harass them at first. She is a nutter, and even tried going after the dog and cat until she realized they weren't a threat to her.

Back
Top Bottom