I'm getting a goat!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by AussieSharon, May 29, 2008.

1. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    A lady I gave some mutt chickens to just called me to say the county revoked her license for livestock in her subdivision. ( A neighbor complained about the noise her 2 hens made!! ) She was also told her pygmy goat which she got for Mothers Day would have to go too. The poor lady is devestated and cares for them like children. You couldn't find better loved or cared for pets.

So she called asking if I'd take the 2 hens back and if I'd please take the 6 month old pygmy doe also. The goat was bottle raised, goes in and out of the house and is VERY tame. So I'll be getting deported by DH when he comes home and finds a goat and more chickens. LOL

Can anyone give me some advice on pygmy goats? I know they need a buddy, she said the goat loves her chickens.

2. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    yeah, go get another goat for her. i'm sure dh will be thrilled. you'll have fun though.

3. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    Yay!! Now go get another goat, this one needs a friend! [​IMG] It's a slippery slope. But goats are just awesome little pets. You could get a dairy goat, maybe your hubby wouldn't mind so much if one of the new critters was pulling its weight, so to speak? [​IMG] Since you're going to have a 'lil Pygmy, you could get a Nigerian Dwarf as a buddy if you want a dairy goat...

www.goattalk.com has a lot of info, and the moderator (owner?) of the site is a big Pygmy breeder.

4. AussieSharon

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Thanks heaps Crunchie. I have been reading up and I think a Nigerian would be perfect. DH and I had talked about a couple of goats for milk and possibly meat.

Now to find a little Nigerian friend! I'll post pics of Lucy (already named pygmy) tonight.

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    A nigerian would be perfect Sharon! That is actually what I was thinking about getting if I decide to get some more goats. If you think the pygmy's are cute, check the nigerians out! They're adorable!!! Here's a link to a place by Winston Salem that has them. They are a little pricey, but any milk goat is going to be.
    http://hometown.aol.com/buffalocreekfarm/main.html

6. Crunchie

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    I love my Nigies. I have 4, and hopefully more on the way this fall (a couple of my girls have a "male friend" visiting)! [​IMG] This farm is in VA--I have dealt with this young man's mother, she is awfully nice and they have very nice goats: www.pemberleyacres.com One of my goats was bred by this family.

Good luck, post pictures when you get them!! ETA: Lucy is an adorable name for a Pygmy! I love it. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  7. AussieSharon

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Thanks for the websites. Wow those little guys are cute but expensive. Better start saving my $ for a friend.

8. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:That's where my girls are coming from. The owners are super nice at that farm!

9. Crunchie

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    Quote:The farm whose link I sent you, they breed for show, so they are going to be more expensive than a grade/unregistered Nigerian. You can certainly find them cheaper!

10. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    You can also try your local farm supply store to see if they know of anyone who is selling some goats. That's how I found my little treasures! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by