I'm getting a milking machine! WHOOT!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by FlightsofFancy, Apr 14, 2009.

1. FlightsofFancy

FlightsofFancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Canton, GA
    After struggling to milk my Nigi and dealing with hand cramps and my existing carpel tunnel from grooming for 25 years......My DH informed me last night that I am getting a milking machine. Yippeeee! Oh I love that man! [​IMG] Some women want diamonds, but this is going to be so much better!! I can't believe I am saying that...but it's true.
    We have been looking at the Perry's Milkers DP50 because it will come with equipment for large and small goats. http://www.goatlinks.com/perrys

So
    anyone out there use milking machines? What advice do you have?

2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    How interesting! How many goats do you have to milk a day? What do you do with all that milk? Does goat milk takes like cows milk?

I think goats are interesting little critters. Sorta like chickens, they are small little animals that most anyone can keep, but they provide such wonderful food.

3. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    I finally broke down and bought one last year. It doesn't really save you any time, but goodness gracious agnes, it surely does save wear and tear (and stress, and frustration, and spilled milk) on your hands!

Congratulations, I'd take my milk machine over a diamond any day of the week!

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    My husband keeps saying he wants to get me one (yah, like we have the money! [​IMG]) but I really enjoy milking by hand. I do find my hands still ache after 8 months of milking but I only milk four does and don't have some of those other physical issues that can make it so much harder.

I'm thrilled you are getting a milker, I have no experience with them so I can't offer advice but Yippee!!!![​IMG]

5. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    [​IMG] SISSY!

(congrats, tho)

6. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    helmstead said:
    gig SISSY!

[​IMG]

7. FlightsofFancy

FlightsofFancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Canton, GA
    Quote:Thanks alot!!! You groom all day and then milk a bratty goat. LOL!
    I just know he loves me because I never complained, but he saw me hurting. [​IMG]

ksacres: Which one do you have??

8. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:I have one from portablemilkers.com but I really don't recommend the one I have b/c it always comes apart, the pump is faulty, and their customer service is non-existant. If I had to do it over again, I'd get one from Hoeggar's.

But, truly, I'm not complaining. I milk 7 right now, last year I was milking twice that. Mine is set up to milk two at once, it's a lifesaver. Before I purchased it last year, I was spending FOUR HOURS a day! Did I mention I work *full time* and am gone for nearly ten hours a day for that??

Now I can milk out the seven, clean the machine and feed the babies in 30 minutes.

9. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    The main reason I want a milking machine is so DH can do some of the milking. His hands are too big to grasp some of those teats or he just squeezes too hard or something because NONE of the girls like it when he tries.

BTW, congrats on the milking machine! I'm jealous [​IMG]

10. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Someone just posted a machine for sale on one of the forums I'm on. I emailed her for her asking price. I will let you guys know what she says.

I've met the gal before, so she does exist [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by