I'm Getting an Umbrella Cockatoo Breeding Pair!

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Lacrymosa, May 19, 2010.

1. Lacrymosa

Lacrymosa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2010
    Fort Worth
    We found two Umbrella cockatoos on craigslist for nearly a fourth of what they are normally worth because the people are moving and need to get them a home quickly. We will be meeting them tomorrow afternoon before we decide to buy them. There is a male and a female, both around 6-8 years of age, and they get along with each other, but have never been together long enough to mate (they are put back in their cage before they can, but still spend time with each other.) Once we have them, we will let them be together and mate. I do know when they are breeding pairs that they are not as good pets, and we understand this.

We have been told that they both know close to 200 words each, love to cuddle and kiss, and also do not mind dogs or cats (which both live in our household.)

I will be sure to post pictures if we get them! Wish me luck that everything will work out!

2. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    [​IMG] I can't wait

3. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Good for you! Umbrellas are actually one of the easier parrots to breed. I have never personally liked using tame Cockatoos as breeders though. It just depends on the bird though. Some that have been tame do quite well as breeders. I just found that in Cockatoos they were more prone to aggression and poor breeding in general when they were tame. If you got a great deal on them though and they don't work out as breeders, I am sure you will love them as pets. [​IMG]

4. markbirds

markbirds Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2009
    That is excellent!! I do have to aggree with CityChicker though, just watch them very close to make sure that one is not getting too aggressive towards the other. I know when I get Too's for breeding that come from a pet situation I put them in the large avairy 40x40 once they can fly and let them forget alittle about the human contact part of their life.

5. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    I have heard about tame males killing the females, so keep a close eye on them!

Also you might want to make sure there is a market for them before you breed them. Umbies are one of the most abundant in rescue situations. I have one and I'm his 6th home.

markbirds could you tell us more about your aviaries? I am planning on building one for my 2 conures and one for my 2 toos (a U2 and a leadbeater)

6. sharron

sharron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    good luck with them!!
    make sure the nest box is nice and roomy and that it also has two entrances, that way if the male does go after the hen, she can get away from him thru one of the "door"
    too's are sweethearts as pets.
    sharron-- lover of feathers:thumbsup

7. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Not to burst your bubble but they may not be mating yet... Oh and by the way.... I am SSSSOOOOOOOOOO jealous... you lucky ducky. They may or may not mate in captivity....Sometimes well handled birds don't make the best breeding pair... You may get lucky.. I am not sure what variety but some of the bigger ones don't begin to mature sexually until they are 10 or 12... you should check into that.. I just thought you should know before you get them that you need to look into the breeding dream first... Good luck and post pix of the new "babies"... Oh and glue everything down.. ha ha ... I had a pair of Congo Orange Wing Amazons and they were destructive enough... Cockatoos are some rowdy birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by