im getting cackler geese!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by birdboy508, Jul 27, 2011.

1. birdboy508

birdboy508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    east taunton
    i was just wondering how hard are they to raise.[​IMG]

2. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Not hard. A Northern goose, so they need more light and higher protein. Make sure they are in good shape going into the breeding seaon because they tend to be Capital Breeders.

Clint

3. Dr. Todd

Dr. Todd Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Ha.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  4. birdboy508

birdboy508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    east taunton
    why are you saying ha!?!

5. clinton9

clinton9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    I think Dr Todd were laughing at idea of canada geese being very difficult to collect as it is against the laws to keep Canada geese of any race as Canada geese are too aggressive and dangerous for people to keep. They can give you very painful bites and rake your clothes off you with their claws, million times worse than nice friendly male muscovy ducks. So forget about canada geese.

I suggest you keep muscovy ducks instead of canada geese, as muscovy ducks have beautiful glossy plumages and are nice birds.

Maybe Dr Todd thought Canada geese as feathered grass-eating veleraptors.

Clinton.

Quote:

6. mckenzie

mckenzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Douglas, GA
    They aren't hard to raise at all. The ones i have had aren't aggressive at all either. I dont know where people get the ideas that they are pit bulls or something.

7. YooperK

YooperK Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Quote:I don't know where people get the idea that pit bulls are vicious killers. [​IMG] Our sweet Alice was the gentlest dog I've ever met. Guess it's all about how they're raised, dogs and geese alike. [​IMG]

(P.S. I do know where people get the idea that pit bulls are vicious killers. But some owners beating their dogs to make them aggressive does not a breed indictment make...)

8. mckenzie

mckenzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Douglas, GA
    Well alot of the pit bulls around our area like chasing our sheep and killing a few every couple of years.

9. n4zty

n4zty Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    not a pitbull forum but actual fact pitbulls are the most loyal dog that exist in this world this was said on discovery channel by a vet. anyways nortorious rep to this breed of geese is surely not diserved as a agressive bird im sure what they mean is they probaly more territorial in general and thats is ok by me i love agressive geese that do not welcome strangers on my property!

10. Dr. Todd

Dr. Todd Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    actual fact

this was said on discovery channel by a vet

Geez....must be true.

I wear protective leggings when I go in with my cacklers, they are by far the meanest geese I've ever seen. It think it's because they are Capital Breeders.

DT​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by