I'm getting chickens! So excited!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickennurse, Jan 23, 2010.

1. chickennurse

chickennurse Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2010
    I never thought there would be a chicken site. I make soap and I saw on another forum I use someone talking about this site. This is amazing. I been wanting chickens a long time. We lived in the country for about ten years and have horses but my dh has never wanted me to get any chickens. I really don't know why, I guess he felt funny about eating fresh eggs, thought they were dirty ect. So last year a friend gave us two ducks and he just loves them. I had chickens as a teenager in texas so this will not be new to me. Yesterday after coming home from work I caught him looking at the welp catalog I got in the mail and he said to me "maybe we should get some chickens". So we ordered from welp today 50 chickens. He went to lowes today and bought things to get started on our coop. So excited. I only ordered hens, I figured roos can come later. They are coming may 3rd, so long to wait but lots to learn..

2. RHewittJr

RHewittJr Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2009
    You and your DH will love it. If you enjoyed them as a teenager you will enjoy them even more. Good luck with the coop. 50 is a big start so make sure the coop is large enough. Read all you can, I had chickens when I was younger too but I still learn new things everyday. Welcome to BYC.com

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] from Indiana! Wow...you guys started BIG!! I'm sure building your new coop will make the time zoom by...and your chicks will be there before you know it.

4. wohneli

wohneli Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Gainesville
    From 0 to 50 in under 10 seconds - great job.
    Good luck and welcome to BYC!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  5. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    my girls were May thirds too! I was only half as ambitious though. Plan on having some eggs! once they start rolling, you will be surprised how few eggs people who eat eggs really eat, no where as many eggs as you wish they did!
    have fun! [​IMG]

6. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    50 is a big commitment but it sounds as if you are teaming up for the challenge. Hope it all goes well and you guys are swimming in eggs! Welcome to BYC!!![​IMG]

7. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    [​IMG] from Tx! I'm excited for you and your hubby! Sounds like alot of fun! What breeds did you order?

8. chickennurse

chickennurse Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2010
    Maybe a little ambitious but very excited! Dh is ordering a back hoe for next week if the weather cooperates. When my dh decides on something he does it right. My coop we have decided on is 16x16 which should give them a little extra room or just in case we get a few extras. We ordered red sex links(10), 5 each of the following; rhode island reds, blue laced red wyandottes, blue wyandottes, brown leg horns, delawares, barred rocks, buff brahmas, buff orpingtons. When I was growing up we had jerseys and rir's. Our neighbor has sexlinks and said they were a great producer.

9. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    [​IMG] from NY! Yeah, the sexlinks are a great producer. We have 6 of them and we get gorgeous large brown eggs daily-even through the coldest parts of winter. You picked out an awesome selection of chicks, have fun with them!!

10. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    [​IMG] from Indiana! You know you'll have to post some pics when you get them! We love baby pics!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by