I'm getting chickens tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dacasodivine, Mar 12, 2008.

1. dacasodivine

dacasodivine Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2008
    The lady I work for has already ordered 36 chicks from Ideal, half of which are for me. Then she ordered 6 older pullets. I'm not sure how old they are but I suspect point of lay? I didn't realize she intended half of them for me or I would have asked more questions. So, she told me today they are coming tomorrow and do I have somewhere to put mine! Ahhhhhh!

Well, I was planning to make a tractor out of pallets for the chicks that are coming next week. I had gotten as far as cutting a pallet in half and got some 2 x 4s for the sides. That's as far as I got. I mean, there was no hurry. The chicks aren't even here. Me and hubby hurried and put it together. I need more wire for the top, but everything else is done. It's roughly 4 x 7 and 2 1/2 tall. It'll have to do for now. We hadn't planned to start the coop and pen just yet. Guess we'll have to get on that soon!

As for what the chickens are, I only know one is a Leghorn. I guess I'll find out tomorrow what the other two are. I'm pretty sure she told me she order three different breeds that are good egg layers. I'm getting one of each.

2. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    AWESOME! Congrats! [​IMG]

3. chickenlover210

chickenlover210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2008
    the Usa
    Awesome I'm getting 2 in 9 days and 4 soon after easter
    can anyone show me what a red or blue (or othere colered-multi) silkie bantam looks like because I might be getting a blue or red silkie (or both)

4. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    try feathersite.com

5. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    congrats!

6. dacasodivine

Feb 19, 2008
    Thanks all! At least now I won't be quite so tempted when I got to the feed store, or rather stores. TS and another feed store have chicks.

Only a week before my babies get here. I'll have all of them here until they are 4 weeks. Then half of them leave for their real home.

I'm going to be up to my knees in chicks. [​IMG]

Danette

7. dacasodivine

Feb 19, 2008
    Okay, so DH and I rush to get up the tractor for the chickens. We get it done except for the top. I got to my bosses today and it was acually the chicks that were sent!:eek: She misunderstood. They weren't supposed to be in for another week so I am totally unprepared. I stopped on the way home for some chick starter.

I'm using a dog crate for a brooder and we had a light. I do need to get a red light but what we have works.

By the way, they came from Ideal and were shipped yesterday. I have 15 and all look good. I think my boss may have gotten some of mine and hers mixed up, but we'll get that worked out later. She decided to go ahead and keep hers instead of having me raise them.

I ordered 3 pullets of each of Ameraucana, Australorp, SL Wyandotte, GL Wyandotte, and Barred Holland.[​IMG]

I am SO SO super excited! I finally have chicks.

8. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    I am getting 10 RIR babies tommorow. They were supposed to be here today but they didn't make it!!! The feed store called and was told they were just shipped out this morning!!! Keep your fingers crossed I get babies tommorow....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by