I'm getting eggs with bulls-eyes....but I don't have a rooster!?!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AnnaLease, Dec 6, 2011.

1. AnnaLease

AnnaLease Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Alot of the eggs we have been cracking open lately have had very definite bull's eyes. I did some research and bull's eyes mean their fertile, right? But we don't have a rooster! We have 11 hens and we know for a FACT that they are hens because some days we get 11 eggs. The nearest rooster is a mile down the road and their is NO WAY he has been over here. We also have a guineas, ducks, and peachicks, but I've never seen cross-species-mating (if there even is such a thing). So I'm wondering WHAT IN THE WORLD IS UP? The only thing I can think of is that we're worming them right now, does that make any difference? I tried to take some pictures of the bulls eyes, but they weren't clear (sorry). Any ideas? Thanks!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Not sure about the bullseye but guineas and chickens CAN cross even though it is quite rare.

3. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Sometimes it can look like there is a bullseye when there isn't, it can be deceiving. Best if you can get a decent pic and someone can let you know if you have a possible roo or a sneaky visitor!

4. AnnaLease

AnnaLease Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    OK, I will try to take some good pictures.

5. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Take a pic of the egg .And your 'hens'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by