I'M GETTING IMPATIENT! HELP!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SweetLilRachy00, Nov 29, 2007.

1. SweetLilRachy00

SweetLilRachy00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Simpsonville, SC
    [​IMG]

OK, I just read this on the FAQ thread:

"As to the light question, the hens need about 14 hours of natural light for the best egg production. I think giving them a little skylight (if they have a place in the shade) is a neat idea; they'd probably love it. They actually like to have their nests in dark, out-of-the-way places, though... so maybe the skylight could be over their feeder/waterer, while their nesting area could be in the dark to encourage them to lay and to prevent egg eating."

We have 18 week old chickens (12). I am not sure of the breed, I believe they are just mixed breeds that FIL got us.

We haven't gotten ANY eggs yet.

We do have baskets set up for them to lay in. However, after reading this, I have realized that their baskets are not in a dark place, but rather a VERY lite place.

Do you think this is affecting them to start laying?

I am getting impatient for eggs. (I don't even eat eggs, but the other 3 in this house does, LOL)

Another question:

We have a rooster, had two, got rid of one...How will I know if they are breeding? Is there a way to tell if there are eggs inside my chickens??

I feel silly asking these questions, but I couldn't find anything after search this site, and the net.

Thanks so much for reading all this!

PS-We let our chickens free range during the day, so they are pretty darn happy chickens!

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

You could have a while to wait yet....depending on the breed they are. I don't start getting impatient until mine hit the 25 week range and then I think they need to hurry up and get with program!!

3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Some breeds of chickens lay early and some lay late. I've seen some here that are not expecting eggs from their pullets until spring due to the shortened light. I've also seen posts where the chickens are 6 months old before they lay. Mine layed very early 15 weeks but, I have also learned they are breeds that are bred for high production.

You don't need a rooster for the pullets to lay so, it doesn't matter whether or not he is breeding them as far as laying goes. If you are thinking of breeding, from what I understand the pullets are to young. You need to wait for a while.

Good luck and never feel funny asking questions here. We have all been new to chickens at sometime or other and understand. We also ask questions.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Many breeds known for laying at 18-22 weeks old are this year waiting much, much longer for some reason, mine included. I have had pullets lay at 24, 25, 29 and 30 weeks old, something I am not used to, but see that many others are having the same experience. So, just hunker down and wait it out. I believe you may have a few more weeks to go. They'll all lay when they lay. I'm sure this doesn't help, but it's just the way it is. Makes it easier to wait if you have others providing eggs for you, I'm sure.

5. EggCentric

EggCentric Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Ball Ground, Ga
    If you are letting them free range, they are probably laying in places other than their nests. Do some searching around, you may find some. Mine are 9 months old and have yet to lay an egg! [​IMG]

6. SweetLilRachy00

Oct 30, 2007
    Simpsonville, SC
    They only free range during the day. We have rodent issues so they are locked up at night! Ihave two young boys (6 and 4) and I am sure that they would have found eggs by now!

i'm not sure what breeds they are. For now, until I know, they are just Generic chickens! Because FIL has BS-Syndrome! (He's full of you know what and bought them from the most reputible dealer [​IMG] )

7. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Mine didn't start laying until they were 6 - 7 months old. Some have only just recently started laying.

I say be patient still! [​IMG]

Edited to say, if you'll post some pictures in the "what breed/gender" forum then we can help you identify your chickens!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2007
  8. SweetLilRachy00

Oct 30, 2007
    Simpsonville, SC
    I have tried to post pictures there. Actually you can search. I think I posted about 3-4 topics about "what breed is this"

But I got soooo many answers, that I'm just going with "Generic" I think they are all mixed breeds. Although, I have 6-7 brown ones that all look somewhat alike.

9. Omeletta

Omeletta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Mine are 8 months old, and no eggs! I was told to be patient! I also installed light in the coop, and they get 15 hrs a day. This has been for three weeks now, no eggs yet...sigh* Oh well, I will just practice my patience [​IMG]

Tanya

10. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:Well, I've taken a gander at them. Most of your flock are Easter-Eggers, so you will probably be getting blue, green, or pink eggs (and possibly tints in-between!). They're mutts, not a pure breed but not generic either. [​IMG] Some of your birds exhibit Ameracauna traits (beards & muffs) but they don't meet that breed's standards. Your black pullet is a mix breed also, maybe an easter-egger herself!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by