Im getting in the feed buissness

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by NC chicken man, Apr 5, 2009.

1. NC chicken man

NC chicken man Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    Mt. Pleasant,NC
    We raise free range layers,broilers,turkeys and grass fed beef and pasture raised pork,and our local feed mill closed down three years ago and we have been going to another town getting our feed made ,so me and my buddy rented the mill with the equipment still in there and we are going to start making feed.Jeff Mattocks from Fertrell is helping us get started,things are really moving fast and I cant wait to see where it goes.

Aaron

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Need a mill manager??? LOL I could move the Carolinas...

3. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Good luck! I would be curious to know if there would be strong enough demand to offer organic feed and if you could do it at a reasonable price. Here it's $15.87/#50... which to me is insane when I can buy really high quality feed for just under $9

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Organic stuff is overrated and simply good advertising....

5. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:You know Christopher... I wouldn't have agreed about 9 months ago when I started this chicken thing, but I wholly agree now. My chickens free range all day just about every day. I give them veggies and worms and a ration of good quality feed. They are healthy, produce yummy eggs and are treated humanely until their final breath..

GOOD LUCK with the feed mill!

6. elliemay0305

elliemay0305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    wow sounds great! good luck. i wish we had better feed stores in our area to. everything closes down early and forget about getting anything on the weekends. [​IMG] not to mention the varity of foods to pick from is slim!!

7. WGB

WGB Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2008
    Sounds like it could be fun!
    Good luck with your venture.

8. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    Good luck it's great to see new business starting up in this economy. Where is Mt. Pleasant NC?

9. NC chicken man

NC chicken man Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    Mt. Pleasant,NC
    Mt.Pleasant is 20 miles east of Concord and Lowes Motor Speedway,what makes this deal a little sweeter is my neighbor has a soybean roaster and instead of soybean meal we are going to have roasted soybeans and that is better than the meal.

Aaron

10. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Good for you guys.I love those old mills(I love that smell) and hate to see them close.It's sad to drive through these old rural towns that were once booming with agriculture only to see those big silos not being used and neglected because there is very little ag to support it.At one time everyone had livestock on their property,now most are considered consumers.
    Many of those with small hobby farms don't realize how much they can save by using them over the paper bagged Giants.I hope you guys do well. Best of luck to you.I hope when you buy product you start local first then reach out farther if need be. Will

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by