I'm Getting My First Silkies!!! Update, new *PICS* pg. 4

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by iluvsedward, Dec 22, 2011.

1. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I have ALWAYS wanted silkies but i have never been able to get them. I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm getting two chicks, I really hope they're both not roosters, I can have on roo but not two... I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!! I have had chicks before, many times, just not SILKIES!!
    yay!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  2. iluvsedward

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    btw, I have a cardboard box and a styrafoam box (I was saving that for maybe making a homemade bator) and I could possibly rustle up some other stuff

3. iluvsedward

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    I'm watching the views go up, you can reply you know [​IMG]

4. kbreak

kbreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    I am getting my first silkies tomorrow. Was hoping you would get some advice. They are a month old. I am going to fix a brooder out of plastice container then place that in a 3x7 ft run that is covered with a tarp with heat lamp.Hoping to combine the 2 groups(silkies and Orps) within a week or so. Can I do that?

5. michelleshenhouse

michelleshenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Slidell, La
    Yeah. I have 3 but I am setting 7 in my bator today.

6. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I see no one else is chiming so Ill give my two cents worth! [​IMG]

You need something to keep the temp at around 90 degrees the first week, slowly lower it as the weeks go on. You can you a cardboard box if you have nothing else. All you need is a heat lamp. I would try and find something like a rubbermaid container.

Congrats on the silkies! I hatched 8 of my own last week. They will be two weeks next Tuesday! Good lick and enjoy your chicks! [​IMG]

7. iluvsedward

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    Quote:Yes and they will fight for the first few days or longer depending on the age or they may do just fine with each other. If you free range, i would suggest free ranging them together and locking them up at night in the same coop. You catch my drift?

8. iluvsedward

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    Quote:I have rubbermaid containers but they are all being used. I can ask my parents if they have one they're not using. I usually use a ten gal. or cardboard box for chicks but they're hard to clean and they get really dirty. I am getting just two chicks so I guess it wont really be a prob. But I def. will try the rubbermaid. Oh! I think I know where one is! behind our shed there is a shallow one filled with yucky water....ew... but I can clean that I think. yay. thanks fellow BYCers [​IMG]))

9. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:I have rubbermaid containers but they are all being used. I can ask my parents if they have one they're not using. I usually use a ten gal. or cardboard box for chicks but they're hard to clean and they get really dirty. I am getting just two chicks so I guess it wont really be a prob. But I def. will try the rubbermaid. Oh! I think I know where one is! behind our shed there is a shallow one filled with yucky water....ew... but I can clean that I think. yay. thanks fellow BYCers [​IMG]))

Glad to see you figured it out. Oh and don't forget pics!!!

10. iluvsedward

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    I mean its not that shallow its not like the clear ones its a good size for chicks :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by