I'm getting ready to purchase some ducklings!

Ducklearner

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2021
Hoo boy! Am I excited to get some ducklings, the only thing is I'm so worried I might mess something up and then the ducklings/ducks might die, yes, I know you go online and do research but that thought still pop's in my mind, so I made this post to asked some questions on taking care of ducklings. Any answer is good, because it can definitely help me out. I'm just trying to be sure for the ducklings/ducks sake.

What are some of the things you did and that you recommend?
  1. Crumble: I know some have recommend Mazuri Starter. Any others?
  2. Food: I do know that some have recommend Mazuri waterfowl feed, Purina Duck feed. Any others?
  3. Grits: Now some people have recommended: Regular chick grit, and some put it into a separate dish, and some mixed it into there're regular food. What do you recommend?
  4. Lamps: There're are some with metal protectors on them, and some that don't have protectors, which one's do you pefer.
  5. Other necessary things to have/do.
Also what was, and is your experience with having ducklings/ducks, to me they are a joy to have, even though I don't have them yet, but just the thought of having them fill's me up with joy, and I want to make sure that I take care of them that they have a happy life.

Congrats on your soon-to-be duckling flock! All my ducks are runners that I got from a breeder about an hour away. They have all survived to adulthood on store brand chick starter grower with extra niacin -- mostly because I wasn't able to buy actual duckling feed locally. When I couldn't get real niacin, I just supplemented with frozen peas which they love even when they grow up.

My point is, you do your best with what you can. More than likely, they will make it even when you mess up a bit.

I use heat lamps with metal protectors suspended from a chair that has a metal rod across the back, and usually brood mine in the house (yeah, no Good Housekeeping award for me) in giant totes. I try to minimize the mess, but there's a reason they're called WATERfowl. The little buggers manage to spill and slop water everywhere. I have often put their water in small butter tubs that are partially filled with glass marbles so they won't drown.

I handle them as much as possible when they're young; still, many act as if I'm trying to murder them if I pick them up. But, they are all happy to take food from my hand.

Enjoy your babies!

Congrats on thinking of getting ducks. Ducks are quite rewarding animals that are fun to have and raise.
1. As ducklings, crumbles are great. Mazuri starter is perfect, but regular chick starter can be used supplemented with niacin.

2. As for food, mazuri and purina duck feed is good. I personally use plain old layer pellets, as all my ducks are ladies. I prefer using pellets for adult ducks, as they are easier for them to scoop up. Be sure to always offer water with food, as they need water to swallow the food.

3. If you want to offer treats such as veggies or fruits, grit is needed. Just sprinkle a little on the food. You can offer it in a little dish separate, but make sure they don't eat too much of it.

4. I like using lamps with protectors. In case the lamp falls, it will prevent a barn or house fire. I once used a lamp without a protector, and it had fallen on some chicks. Thankfully I reached there in time, or those chicks would have fried to death! There's also the option of using those adjustable heating plates. They are adjustable and much safer than lamps.

5. As I said before, make sure they have water at all times, as well as enough water to duck their heads, to clean their nares. That's about it.

They are pretty cute, but very messy. I mean VERY messy.

Good luck on your new flock!

I'm definitely no duckling expert (mine aren't 2 weeks old yet), but I followed @WannaBeHillBilly 's instructions for a momma heat cave instead of doing the heat lamp (Thanks for the idea WannaBeHillBilly!). My main reason was to give them the natural day/night sequence instead of keeping a light on them 24/7. They love it and it's worked great so far. I moved the setting from high to medium after the first week.

Last Fall, i raised 13 ducklings in a kiddie pool on my patio and i used a heat-mat on the top of the bedding with a simple cardboard-box as a cave:
Worked perfect and they loved their little house to pieces - literally… Thankfully there is an almost infinite supply of little duckling houses delivered from Jeff Bezos here.
We had some cold nights last October and to be really really sure they stay warm, i covered the whole pool with a large beach towel:

Back
Top Bottom