I'm getting some araucanas

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mamabigbird, Oct 26, 2011.

1. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    I'm so excited. I started out with a few EE mutts that were given to me and now 12 of my 16 hens are plain old reliable sex link hens.
    My one blue egg laying EE/polish cross (Matilda)hasn't laid an egg since her broody/molt and she is getting on in years.
    Her daughter who also has the polish hairdo ( Road Runner) lays blue eggs too but is holding out on me.
    My sister who has heard my laments about no blue eggs, found a breeder locally that says they have Araucanas and so she is buying me 3 of them for my birthday.
    We go tonight to pick them out and bring 'em home.
    I'm not holding out too much hope that they'll be purebreds, probably more EEs, but I don't really care as long as they lay those blue eggs.
    I love the way they look in the carton with light and dark browns and pinks. I think that's why they sold so well at the end of the driveway, so colorful.

P.S. I couldn't figure out where else to post this ... and "managing your flock" is so ambiguous.

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Pretty great. Happy BDay!! Enjoy

3. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    Well they're home now, but they are Ameraucanas not Araucanas. My sister didn't know the difference but I don't care.
    I love them already. 2 are about 12 weeks and the other is about 16 weeks so I'll keep them separate from the flock in my broody pen.
    It'll give them all a chance to meet through the fence for a few weeks.
    The black 16 week old is quite shy and being so close to hallowe'en I think I'll call her Spooky,
    The other 2 are smaller and friendlier and I think I'll stick with seasonal names ... the off-white buff one can be Halo and the silver and rust one can be Weenie.
    LOL. Halo Weenie and Spooky.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by