I'm getting very small eggs...Will they get bigger?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mr Grandcanyon, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Mr Grandcanyon

Mr Grandcanyon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2010
    St. Johns, AZ
    Hi all you knowledgeable folks.

My 4 Speckled Sussex pullets have resumed occasional laying.... they took time off after I moved them 160 miles. I understand that the number of eggs will drop off with the shorter days. I don't want to provide artificial lighting...

The eggs I'm getting are measuring barely into the "small" size on my egg scale.

Will the eggs get bigger as the pullets mature? The pullets were hatched last spring....

Thanks for your input.

Mr. Grandcanyon

2. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I hope so. My SS started laying about the same time as my red sex links. While the RSL eggs are now someplace between medium and large the SS eggs remain small. Takes time I guess.

3. Mr Grandcanyon

Mr Grandcanyon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2010
    St. Johns, AZ
    You mention that the RSL eggs "are now" bigger.... Does that mean they started small and got larger?

My eggs have bright orange yolks.... very little albumin.... mostly yolk. Great for omletes... Not sure how it will work in a situation where I need them to bake a cake...

4. woodmort

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Yes. The first few eggs--pullet eggs--are smaller than a "small" egg. As the bird get her egg laying apparatus in better working order the eggs get bigger. The left on the left is from the SS the middle is an early RIR egg and the one on the right is the RSL--all three birds are the same age.
    [​IMG]

5. Bandera Grassland

Bandera Grassland Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    I have Blue Andalusians. They are supposed to lay large chalk white eggs. My four and a half month-old hens have begun to lay. The combs of the ones laying have flopped over as I was told to expect them to do. Their eggs are very small. The shells are hard and the contents well formed. Is it just that the hens are still very young that results in small eggs or is it an indication of nutritional deficiencies? I'm feeding a complete Organic ration that is 15.8% protein. They also get to go outdoors during daylight and catch bugs and peck on green forage. They've been laying for a couple of weeks now and the eggs haven't gotten any bigger. Attached is a photo of my eggs on the left and regular eggs on the right. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  6. woodmort

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Relax, they'll get bigger as the birds mature.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by