I'm giving away my alpha rooster

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Jan 13, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    For weeks now I've been brainstorming on ways to make my favored rooster Thor the alpha of the flock because he's the one I want fertile eggs from. Right now both roosters and all the hens free-range together all day. Zeus is very much the alpha and Thor is very submissive to Zeus. I didn't want to have seperate them in seperate pens to accomplish my goal.
    Recently a very nice lady in our tiny town lost her entire flock to a pack of hound dogs. Their pen appeared to be very well built, but the dogs managed to tear through it to get to the hens. Her DH has re-built the pen and added an electric fence around it.
    Several people have offered them hens to help them start over, but her DH really longed for a roo. So Friday Zeus will be going to live at his new home.
    I'm really hoping that with Zeus gone Thor will cowboy up and take his place as the very protective alpha. [​IMG]

2. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I SOOOOOOOOOO hope so!!!! [​IMG]

My intentions may not be entirely pure......lol!

Thor...DO YOUR STUFF BABY!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Your intentions aren't entirely pure?!?!? I'm shocked! [​IMG]

I'm thinking by Friday afternoon Thor is gonna think he's died and gone to chicken heaven. Poor boy. Sure hope he doesn't give himself a heart attack trying to mate all the hens at once. [​IMG]

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I wish we could do that. Around here, I only have one person who says she'll let him do his things for a while, but eventually he'll provide the dinner. I can't bare to think of him becoming that, so he'll have to stay.

You're lucky you found such a home. Zeus will have a most excellent life! [​IMG]

5. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    I'm sure Zeus will be much loved! And protect his new girls, too.

6. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    If he doesn't have any rooster competition and the hens don't "dislike" him he has a good shot.

I took my alpha roo (Blue Orp) out of the way for my favorite (BLRW) and he just didn't turn out to be alpha material. He does his thing and throws nice babies but he's just not gonna be the top guy. Funny thing is a young'n of the alpha looks to be taking old dad's spot as numero uno. But I have a younger dark brahma that I have my hopes pinned on. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Time will tell but from now on I think I'm gonna let the chickens decide the pecking order cuz I obviously have no control....lol [​IMG]

Julie [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by