I'm giving up on this whole rooster thing.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Moochie, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Charlie just won't back down.
    Today I was carrying one of the hens around and I walked in front of him and he sparred at my leg. I didn't do anything! Just walking! He was on the side of the sidewalk just standing there so I was making my way past him and he sparred at me. It scared the sheep outta me so I screamed and kinda threw the hen at him (my bad but I was panicing). I know to never be scared of your roo. I was because I didn't want him to break the skin on my leg again, yes, it's happened before and I WAS WEARING PANTS.
    That was over 3 weeks ago and they are still healing up. Charlie got me good. You know why he did that? Cuz I walked past him.
    WHAT IS CHARLIE'S PROBLEM?!?!
    I didn't let him get away though. I hit him in the head with a stick and it looked like he took it like an angry gf hitting a bf. So I hit him in his rear and chased him around the yard. I hate chasing and hitting him because the other chickens can see me and then they fear me for a brief period. It breaks my heart when my hens run away from me.
    I can't talk about it with my parents.. I suggested eating him and my mom will not allow me to "talk like that". I told her it's not worth having a dangerous rooster, then she argues that Charlie has never done anything like sparring to her. And I bet his feet taste soo good. I love chicken feet, it just melts in your mouth [​IMG]
    My dad says "he's just being a rooster and defending his flock". Yeah right there's four other roosters who don't spar at me when I walk past them, such sweeties they are.

I have evil thoughts in my mind, thoughts of taking my mom's electric saw and... I don't want these thoughts! But I don't understand Charlie's deal ! I think re-homing him would be best BUT my mom wants to give him to this buddhist temple. I love that place it's peaceful and everyone is nice. BUT Charlie would be by himself, he would have the risk of being killed by dogs, cougars, bears, and he has the risk of losing his comb to frostbite and harsh weather conditions. It snows up there and he's not used to that. The dogs this local man walks on his hikes in the mornings are off leash [​IMG] He has many according to my knowledge, and he has a deer.
    Please give me advice. Because I hate Charlie but then again I don't.

2. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Plus I really wanna invite my friends over but I'm worried Charlie will spar at them and hurt them. Not only will I get in trouble but so will my parents. If that happens the court may order to get rid of the chickens! Oh geez Charlie, what can I do with you?

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Oh he'd be toast!! I'd get rid of him in a heart beat!! Not sure what to say about your parents!! To me it doesn't matter is he's good with one person and not the other. Hurting one person one time would be enough for me to make yummy broth out of him!!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  4. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Quote:I know what you mean! But how on earth do I get that through to my mom? It's mostly her really.. She says she doesn't wanna get rid of any chickens. I want to get a belgian d'uccle pullet but my dad says for every new chicken that stays one that we already have has to go. You think I could use Charlie in that?

5. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    there are plenty of good nice roosters out there, he'd be gone at my house and a nice one to replace him. Go take a walk outside with your parents and let them see how he spurs you. That's not right. I hate to tell you this but The more you fight him back the more he will come at you. The best thing to do it to ignore him.

6. Momo

Momo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Nelson BC
    What is Charlie's problem? Well, Charlie's problem is he has a brain the size of a peanut, and testosterone poisoning to boot. I don't think Charlie's story is going to end well for him no matter what you do. I know what it's like to feel conflicted about a rooster, so I sympathize, but I learned my lesson. I had a roo that attacked everyone but me - one day he spurred my DH in the shin and it resulted in a nasty infection. Long story short, nowadays aggressive roos are introduced to the sharp side of an axe, and *everyone* on the farm is better off for it. And a lot of buddhists enjoy a little chicken soup...

7. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Oh they don't eat meat. Which is bothersome at times cuz some of the korean food they make needs beef for flavah! Like the chop chei they made. Blegh.
    My mom has seen Charlie spar at me.. And actually he's scratched her when she was applying Blu-Kote and hot pick to his rump. I didn't know that and I was there. I noticed a cat like scratch on her hand the next day. She ignores it and agrees with my dad "he's just being a rooster".. I'm stuck. They say they're MY chickens but when it comes to culling it's suddenly my mother's choice if the roo goes or not?
    I think I'll just let him outside of the yard and have nature do away with him. We live in the desert not suburbs. There are houses around but it's somewhat ghetto around here.
    I know that sounds harsh but I asked to eat him over a month ago and my mom wouldn't budge about it. I can't kill a chicken by my own hands either UNLESS I'm angry and out of control. That only happens when I chase him around with a stick really or when he hurts the hens.
    Well I'm off to watch Wheel of Fortune. Malik and Caitlin from my high school are on the show. Sweetness! They're so lucky!

8. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    It sounds like something does need to be done with Charlie. [​IMG] My daughter refuses to deal with our rooster at all so she just carries a broom around the yard. It works, my Archie hates the broom.

9. Moxiechick

Moxiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    How old is he? From what I've read, it's not uncommon for young roos to act out. Think of all the jerky things that teenage boys do, that a grown man wouldn't consider. [​IMG] Perhaps if you work with him, the two of you will come to an understanding. If he comes at you again, grab him and hold him down in a submissive "squat" position for several moments, until he calms down and stops struggling. That and carrying him around, tucked under your arm. These are techniques that will put you in the dominant position, without triggering his attack responses in the way that fighting with him or attacking him will. It may take awhile, but it may be worth it. Kick him or hit him and he'll just see you as a Roo rival. Try using the search feature using terms like " rooster taming" etc. Best of luck!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  10. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    Charlie needs to go, whether back to nature at the temple or to feed the coyotes. A friend here in Ky. HATES all chickens because, when she was a kid, her parents kept a big flock. They "let roosters be roosters". Diane got flogged many times, but one day she really just snapped. Apparently she was sent to rob the eggs and a roo came at her. She turned, mashed him into the ground, grabbed him by the head and swung him until his neck snapped. At age 12. She's a hopeless animal lover in all other respects, just hates chickens.

...glad I grew up in the suburbs and my grandma believed in serving roos like that for supper.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by