Im going camping

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ChuckenGirl, May 24, 2008.

1. ChuckenGirl

ChuckenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2007
    Maryland :)
    over the summer, about a day or two after school ends [june 11th I CANT WAIT!] anyway, back to what i was saying. Im gonna do the "old fashion camping" no rv just a tent, cot and a lantern. this will be the first time i do it! and i'll get to do it alone!! yessss! i cant wait. is there anything that i should know and is anything else necessary?
    ill be near a house of some of my friends who are adults, so ill be okay with saftey. :]

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    You are going to have lots of fun ... although I would say that it's even more fun with a friend or two. I'm glad you've kept safety in mind.

I would suggest you prepare your food in advance so that you just have to cook it there. It gives you more time to enjoy hiking or whatever. (If you're going to have chicken then have it cut into the proper size pieces ahead of time, if you're going to have baked potatoes - wash them and wrap them in aluminum foil at home, etc.)

Use a wire coat hanger with the long bottom side cut open so you can slip a roll of paper towels on it and hang it on a tree branch or somewhere to have easy access to paper towels.

If you don't want to mess with washing dishes then take paper and plastic but make sure everything is either burned or carried out with you when you leave. If you are going to wash your dishes we found that purchasing one of those "dishsoap in the handle" scrubbing wands is an easy way to get that chore done. You don't have to take an extra container of dishsoap plus a washrag.

If you can, take a folding chair; the ground does get hard after sitting for a while by your campfire. (Maybe that's only me because I'm 'older' now and hate sitting on the floor! [​IMG])

There's lots of other tricks that you learn when camping ... have a really great time.

3. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    A few small but important items:

flashlight with new batteries in it

bug spray and suntan lotion nothing more miserable than sunburn or bug bites

fresh water must not dehydrate

make sure your parents know where you are, and when you will be back... this is for safety and their peace of mind.

Have fun!
    Ellie

4. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Ok can i be nosy and ask how old you are?

Personally i would be bored stiff if i went camping by myself. I would want company!!!!

Remember toilet paper!!!

5. Their Other Mother

Their Other Mother Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Arizona
    Can I adopt you? I love to camp and my kids could live with out it. I'm the Queen of Camping at my church and am trying to build a camp for kids (and some adults) who never got to go. I have bought 40 acres in Northern Arizona in the middle of a cattle ranch with lots of trees and noone around for at least 25 miles. I have two huge canvas wall tents, Three Indian TeePees and am looking for some covered wagons. I also have a bunch of nylon tents and different screen houses and canopies. I have horses and a friend of mine has a riding stable so we are going to take some of the horses up there too. It will be a Wild West of a time.

I love to cook over an open fire and forget the pre-made stuff. I'm a puritan! Love that old Chuck Wagon, Trail Blazin food. Ask me anything and I'll give you my best.

Rule #1 It is more fun with a friend
    Rule #2 Always take stuff for Smores!

The rest is really up to you and how much you are willing to put into it.

6. ChuckenGirl

ChuckenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2007
    Maryland :)
    heyy othermother!!
    just call me daughter :]

and im 15 jolyn. I found out im going with a friend of mine it will be soooooo fun!!
    i CANT wait, so i need toilet paper and LOTS of "purell" haha.
    I'll take pictures :]

7. FloridaChickenChick

FloridaChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Lake County, Florida
    I totally respect camping purists, but I'm not one. [​IMG]

What I love to do is freeze a batch of chili. When it goes in the cooler it helps keep everything cold while traveling, and it's a GREAT easy first night dinner...I have cooking an involved meal after making camp!

There is nothing better than camp food! Have a terrific trip!

8. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Have fun camping. We went over the Memorial Day Holiday and we had a ball. We fished and laughed and ate and ate and ate and well you get the pic. Be careful, take a friend along. If you do go by yourself make sure you have cell service first. Test the area.

Be safe.
    Leave the area the way you found it.
    Don't assume the camp fire is out, make sure it is.
    And please, don't throw trash in the water. (if fishing)
    Have a great time.

9. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Watch out for the rabid wolverines at night, Maryland is crawling with them.

:|

10. Their Other Mother

Their Other Mother Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Arizona
    We were planning to go camping for memorial weekend too but it ended up SNOWING in Northern ARIZONA - 6 inches at our ranch.

Glad we didn't go cause 2 chicks hatched very late Saturday- I thought they were bad eggs and threw 3 other bad ones out.

Any way here is a favorite campfire recipe that my family forces me to make at least once durring the trip.

you need a 12 inch dutch oven
    a 9 inch round cake pan lined with foil (just for easy cleanup)

Heat up the dutch oven and place a trivet ( or some flat rocks) in the bottom to lift the cake pan off the bottom and allow heat to circulate.

Melt 1/2 stick of butter in the cake pan,
    stir in 1/2 cup of preserves (we like apricot)
    1/3 Cup brown sugar
    1/4 Cup honey
    Cook till bubbley
    add pecans or walnuts
    Take 2 cans of refrigerator biscuts and cut each biscut into quarters and place over the top of the butter/preservers mixture.
    Place filled cake pan into the dutch oven, place lid on securley and put a good amount of coals on top.

Remember: when baking cakes, pastries, bread in a dutch oven you want the heat to come from the top so the food will rise.

check it in about 30 minutes. Biscuts should be golden brown. If they are not just put the lid back on and let it bake a little while longer. When it's done take the pan out and flip it upsidedown on a plate and all the gooie yummy stuff drizzles through the biscuts.
    It's the best campfire pastry breakfast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by