I'm going to be a Certified Poultry Technician

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by ginbart, Apr 21, 2009.

1. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Is anyone on here one? I know the course is all day. I’m a little worried. I hope I don’t have to take a test. If its hands on I’m ok but if it’s a written one I hate those and freeze up.

I had to sign up for it a couple of months ago. It's next week. My cousin and I were suppose to do it together but she was busy doing taxes for everyone and forgot. She’s in 4H with her son and they wanted to put chickens in our local fair. So now she ask me if I could do the birds for them and I'm not even license yet but I will do it for them.

Anything anyone could tell me is great so I don't worry so much.

Thank you. Ginger

2. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    I'm not one, BUT I am wishing you all the very very best luck in the world. Stop worrying, you will be fine.....

3. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    I didn't know there were CPT's. What do they do?
    How do you get certafied?
    Is it a state license?

4. genabeana

genabeana Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2009
    Hendersonville, TN
    Yup, you'll do just fine! [​IMG]

5. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    If it's what I'm thinking it is, than yep...I'm one! I got certified about three years back so that I could test my own birds for pullorum to enter in the fair. I had to wait until I was 18, but as soon as I hit that age, I went and got it!

The class was easy easy easy and there was a test, but they allowed us to cheat off of each other and take it as groups. There was a hands on part too, but they helped us along and it was very easy. I guess all states are different, but I think you should be fine.

Good luck!

6. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

If my memory serves me well........I think the RealSilkieChick is. But I could be wrong. BTW.........

[​IMG] [​IMG] Congratulations!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Well, Im not certified, but I'd like to be. How does one go about that?

(Now, some will argue that I am certifiable, but I dont think that is the same thing....)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  8. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:What do they do?
    If we want to test birds for Deseases you must be licensed. They can submit bloodwork and swabs to a diagnostic lab.

How do you get certafied? I had to call the capital and talk to the I had to call the Pa Dept of Agriculture.
    And go to a class.

Is it a state license? Yes it is. The class is free but there is a $10.00 license fee if I want my CPT. I will have to pay that every year.

Edited to add the correct Dept to call

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  9. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:[​IMG] TEST [​IMG] I think if it is something I want to do I will be ok. But when I had to take a test to sell Insurance I needed to take that 3 times. [​IMG]

Thanks I'll let you know how I make out.

10. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:Well yes I did hear that about you. [​IMG]

Call your state Department of Agriculture. At least thats how I had to do it in PA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by