I'm going to be a ducky-mommy!!! WORRIED!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Mrs MIA, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    They're not due until the 28th, but I have a mallard pip already! I opened the incubator to mist them, and thought "Hey! I'll candle them to make sure they're doing ok before moving them to the hatcher." So I pulled one out... it was one that had been cracked, but we tried it anyway... it developed to about 10 days then quit. Bye bye. [​IMG] The next one was active, and OMG, is that a bill in the airsac??? Yep... so I turned it a little more and noticed the pip... OMG!!!! So I'm waiting for a hatcher to come up to temp (the primo Miss Prissy 'bator [​IMG] ) and they're going in tonight... mallards, and either khaki campbells or rouens, or a mix of the two.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    :flLove the duckies!!!!

3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Another one is trying to get out this morning. I've had several chicken hatches that were early... my Sportsman is set at 99.5°F but it always seems like my Millies and Light Brahmas hatch a couple of days early... now my ducks? I don't know what's going on... but I'm excited!!!

4. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    PICS PICS PICS

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Goooooo duckies [​IMG]

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Oh dear... not good... the first one died in the shell. It had pipped a hole so I could see its bill... it stopped moving so I checked it. It died. [​IMG] So I opened it up, and the yolk sac was still huge! I hope they're not all like that... there's three more pipped now. [​IMG] [​IMG] I have the humidity pretty high in there... like 85-90 %...
    This is my first time incubating duck eggs, so I'm still learning. Any tips from you duck-hatchers out there??
    [​IMG]

7. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Since I know people will say this thread is useless without pictures...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My very first duckling hatched myself! [​IMG]

8. Stamper

Stamper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    SO cute!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by