I'm going to breed them! (Pics added)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by peeps7, Oct 5, 2007.

1. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    I'm going to breed this EE roo with these two EE girls. I was just wondering what ya'll thought about it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

P.S. When the roosters tail grows back I'm going to take him and the girls to a show. (hopefully they'll win and I can sell the babies as champion bloodlines.)

2. Rebel Chicken

Rebel Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2007
    southern Indiana
    The chickens are beautiful! Good luck with them!

3. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    didn't we go over this inthe egyption hoosdat thread? EE's are simply put Mutts, so what are you gonna sell them as champion mutts? If they ae not recognized as a true breed only thing you might sell them as is winners of the county fair mixed breed catagory. I have never seen a county fair give champion to a mixed breed which is the class that you would have to show in. [​IMG]

4. peeps7

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    What are you talking about????

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]

Indeed they are EEs but never could be "champions"...you might fetch nice ribbons at a local show or mixed breed variety at 4H or FFA show. Just enjoy their wide range of colors and if you really want to get some ribbons or get "champions" be prepared to get some show birds from Amercuana show breeders such as Cree Farms or anyone else in here that exhibit birds. AND they are not cheap either.
    I would have to agree with mdbucks here....

6. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=18082

this
    thread discused breeding and selling non purebred birds, which is what an EE is, its not a TRUE BREED such as Orphington, Rhode Island Red, etc... the only way to sell thier eggs as "champion bloodlines" is for them to win a championship. Unless you find a show that allows mixed breeds a championship will not happen. Most county fairs will usually have a class for mixed breeds but that is usually only in the YOUTH or 4H class.

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html#b This is a link to Hendersons breed chart I could not find Easter Eggers listed.

this is said on feathersite Most of the so-called Araucanas in the US are mixes that carry some of the original genes and lay variously colored eggs: blue, green, or pinkish. These birds are sometimes (and more honestly) sold as Easter Egg chickens. They come in white and many other colors no mention of APA/ABA standards

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Arau/BRKEaster.html

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It is buyer beware for anyone who buys "champion birds" They can win "best of breed" and "BEST of Show" at biggest county fair in your area and bring back every last ribbon from it. Fairs and most "shows" are entertainment and even mixed birds can win. People can bring back plate sized awards for birds for Production reds... that are not RIR's.

I say breed away but be careful at what you say when you sell because it can come back and bite you when the people learn what the truth is. Do as you wish and just be honest. If you are not breeding towards a standard and culling out the undesirables, you are just breeding birds for fun and sell them for what you think they are worth.

Good luck.

8. peeps7

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    Oh Well!!! Anyways I really just wanted to know what ya'll thought about them. I'm going to breed them and sell the eggs.

9. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Quote:Can I quote you on that I dont think I've ever seen that in print before. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by