I'm going to force me girls to lay: I bought 18 eggs **UPDATE post 1**

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JennsPeeps, Nov 2, 2008.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I'm convinced that Murphy's Law is governing my eggless coop. I ran out of eggs yesterday and decided to get the 18-egg carton instead of the dozen. I just KNOW that buying more eggs than I can use quickly will FORCE my girls to start laying, right?

... right...?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

---------------
    UPDATED 11/6/2008

Someone told me (pg 2) to give the chickens corn & red pepper flakes to encourage egg production. For the past 2 days the girls have been greedily gorging themselves on a yellow & red delicacy.

For NAUGHT!! No eggs, no nuttin.

Moochers...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    LOL !!!! Uhmmm.... yah it will !!! I Hope for your sake it does !!

How old are they ?? Maybe they know you are buying eggs so they figure "why the heck should we lay" LOL !!!!

3. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    Mine started laying after I went out everyday for a week with a soup pot, chanting recipes for cooked chicken!

4. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Oh no, I think you need to buy at least 18 of the MOST expensive eggs you can possibly find. I don't think regular grocery store eggs will do. You need to spend BIG bucks for Murphy's law to come into play here. [​IMG]

It's a valiant attempt on your part, though. [​IMG]

5. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] My girls haven't started up laying again either... the soup pot banging sounds like a great idea! ha ha ha

6. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Jenn you are right you will have an egg tomorrow. I hate giving away any eggs I am so sure that once I only have a few in the house mine will stop laying. Then I would have to go back to store bought eggs.[​IMG]

7. lovemychicks

lovemychicks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2008
    CT
    I've bought 5-dozen eggs from BJ's a few weeks ago, but my layers still don't lay any eggs. I think I should bring a frypan to see them tomorrow. [​IMG]

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My 3 standards were hatched in late May, making them about 22 weeks old. Two have thick red wattles & the other's wattles are pink and not very developed.

I was told that my banty cochin was a month old when I got her but I suspect she was older than that. She's at least 26-27 weeks old. No wattles there. She has a crossed beak and weighs about a pound, so I suspect she'll be a late layer.

And ask for getting the most expensive eggs, those are the ones that haven't been laid yet! Those eggs have cost around $400 to date, between the coop construction, materials, feed, and the birds! [​IMG]

But gosh, do we love our girls. [​IMG]

9. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Quote:Believe me, I get you on both counts! Those eggs better be coated gold when my girls finally stop playing hard to get. [​IMG]

But I would adore my girls even if they never layed and egg, just don't tell them that!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  10. TurtleChick

TurtleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Tacoma, WA
    hi jenn! we're in tacoma too! [​IMG]

our girls started laying january (one at only 15weeks - YIKES!), so i'm not much help, but we're crossing our fingers for you!!!!!

and as far as the way murphy's law operates in OUR house, i'm with angiechick - you gotta spend $$$ and THEN the girls will lay.........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by