I'm going to start raising chickens this spring

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jc9766, Nov 21, 2011.

1. jc9766

jc9766 New Egg

Nov 21, 2011
    I'm planning on starting to raise chicks this spring- I'm trying to figure out the size of the coop that would be best- I was thinking of a 4 ft deep x 5 ft long and 4 feet high- I want to have 6 hens- medium and large. I live in upstate new york and will have some outdoor space for them but they will spend time inside and I want them to have enough room. Is this large enough?

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I don't think that's big enough for six hens. Figure 4 square feet for each chicken. Overcrowding will cause lots of problems. This site is great. Lots of folks to help you figure things out. Don't be afraid to ask... we were all new at one time.

3. J's Orpingtons

J's Orpingtons Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2011
    Somewhere in NI...
    [​IMG]

4. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    Welcome from Colorado! Originally from Hornell, NY. You will need a much bigger coop if you've ever done 'chicken math' [​IMG]

5. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    The size you have in mind is fine for the 6, maybe 1 or 2 more depending on how you lay out the interior, provided that there is a secured run.

Keep in mind how you will maintain the coop. Low ceiling is not good for walk-in coop. Mine is similar size and a reach-in type. Everything is within arm's reach from the door.

6. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    [​IMG] from Twentynine Palms in the high desert of California! As you have already seen, you'll find a lot of friendly and knowledgeable folks here who are always ready to help!

Are you asking about a coop or a run or both? I know the terminology can be confusing... My coop is about 5' x 5' with 2 roosts allowing a little more that 1 foot per roosting bird. I also have 3 nesting boxes in the coop. I also have a fully enclosed run attached to the coop that measures 7' x 15'.

My girls prefer to roost in the run most nights and only use the coop to lay. They really only roost in the coop when it's raining or really cold. Pretty smart girls!

Hope that helps!

7. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    [​IMG] many people will give you many different answers to the "space" quiestion. I say, the bigger the better. I have a 4'x5'x4 as you mention...but mine is 3 sided open to a 5'x10' run..(you can look at it on my coop page) with another 12sq feet on the other side of the coop (total of 62 sq feet run)..I have many roosts in the run and the coop for them to jump on and to get out of each other's way... I have 5 birds, I I would hate to see them cooped up all day in a 4'x5'...would they survive probably...could the be happy? probably not...mine can't wait to get out of the run as it is to free range! lol

8. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Imp

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008