I'm going to survive this UPDATE! 1 down, 1 to go!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by gritsar, Oct 22, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Today is day six of DSD/GS's visit. A 3 year old child and a 7 month old puppy (with the mental capacity of a 3 yr. old child) in a small house together and lots of rain, so limited outside time.
    Getting up at 6 AM when we are used to 10 or 11. Closing the bathroom door and being more modest, than when it's just the two of us.
    Accepting that the last serving of breakfast skillet may have already been eaten and the last cup of coffee with it. Telling your obsessive/compulsive mind that it's okay that the dishes were done three hours late and in the wrong order (at least they were done).
    Remembering to swat the 3 yr. old bottom and give the puppy the command and not the other way around.
    I'm going to survive this, right? [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Yeah, you'll be fine. May need to hide a bottle out by the coop though, just in case

3. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh sure, you will be OK.

Take a deep breath......Breathe deeply.........ahhh......

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Well, let the GS stay up late--very late. Avoid naps (for him). Make sure the drapes in his room keep it very dark. That should get him sleeping in later.

Make enough coffee and breakfast food to begin with, or serve it on plates (so that it is divided out evenly) as soon as it's cooked rather than keeping it in the skillet. Announce the rule that whoever takes the last cup of coffee must make a new pot if it is before X o'clock.

Decide which of the chores (cooking, dishwashing, etc.) you are most frantic about how they are done, and do those yourself, asking DSD and DH to do some of the others.

If you don't have one, get an appropriate sized wire crate for the puppy and/or safety gates to keep it in or out of specific rooms.

Take a trip to the closest kid's pizza place (Peter Piper, Chuck E Cheeze, etc.) or even the mall (since most of them have indoor playgrounds for toddlers) to get some active time.

Start planning your recuperation vacation now.

5. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Forget about saving the enviroment at this moment, buy some paper plates and cups. That will cut down on the mess.

6. deb1

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Quote:This works for some children. If I did anything to make my son go off his schedule, then he couldn't sleep at night. He would get more and more ill tempered and HYPER, the sleepier he became. Putting him down when he was overtired was horrible.

Ask his parents about his sleep schedule. Also, do you have to get up with him? Can his parents keep him quiet until you wake up?

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That's way too practical. I like coyote's solution better! [​IMG]
    Besides, the mall is over an hour's drive away and I already tried the puppy crate. The GS loved being in it, but the puppy was jealous that I let someone use his room.

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:What sleep schedule? DSD is first time mom. Using schedules and disciplining him will hurt his psyche or something like that. [​IMG]

9. deb1

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Quote:What sleep schedule? DSD is first time mom. Using schedules and disciplining him will hurt his psyche or something like that. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:They can be composted or burned and use the ash!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by