I'm gonna be a nervous wreck....**Update**baby chick died!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jenichick, Nov 1, 2007.

1. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    Our broody hen namded Pidge is sitting on 13 eggs. She hatched out one chick yesterday and it almost seemed like it was smothering so I took it away and put it in the brooder box. "Scruffy" is doing fine.

There was a second one that was pipped with beak out peeping this morning, and I asked DH to check on it at lunch, he said it was completely out of the shell but dead. He said it's tummy looked funny. I think it smothered, but I haven't seen it yet.

Now I'm thinking I need to be there all the time.....so I can rescue them.

I don't think hatching baby chicks would be accepted as an excuse to miss work........arrgh! I could take vacation time, ha ha!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Smushed? Maybe the yolk sac wasn't absorbed or momma hen knew something was wrong. Not your fault.

3. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    True, I honestly don't expect them all to make it...and I'd rather them be healthy etc etc. I need to let her do her job, huh? [​IMG]

4. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Sorry to hear about the little one.

5. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Yeah--Id say give her a chance, it sound like a yolk thing.....

Hope everyone else does better!

6. crysmom

crysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    aww that's sad but not everyone makes it, it sounds like a yolk issue to me too

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    aww, I'm sorry. I know we sometimes have trouble letting momma have a chance to be momma. I get even more nervous over a broody than eggs in the incubator. I'm a nut, I know.

8. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

I do the same thing, Prissy! When my broodies have hatched chicks I've been a wreck - peeking under wings, lifting momma up just a little bit to make sure she isn't squishing anybody. . . .

Jeni, sorry about your chick, but it most likely had something wrong with it anyway. I'm sure your hen will take good care of her little ones. It gets much easier once they are a few days old. . .

Lori

9. TerrasCritters

TerrasCritters In a new coop

Oct 24, 2007
    I totally disagree.

I believe they have a better chance if you take them and brood them yourself. Let her try out another clutch, if more babies keep dying take the ones that are alive.

Just because you find one dead, DOES NOT always mean "there was something wrong with IT"

If you think about it, and something is SOOO wrong with it, it wouldnt FIGHT for life and hatch etc. It would of died in shell whatever.

I know there are some cases that a chick is deformed whatever, but dont jump to "there was something wrong with it anyway"

Jeni, watch them very close, and I would personally take them and brood them myself.
    Sorry you lost one, I hope no more are lost. [​IMG]

10. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I agree with Terras. Not all hens are cut out to be moms, no matter how dedicated they are to sitting. I've seen hens take eggs all the way to hatch and eat them as they emerge from the egg. Don't take the chances and watch closely if they're important to you. Put a band on that hen and if after a 2nd attempt, she loses chicks, I wouldn't let her hatch anymore. It is common for mistakes in the first hatch, but with experience she should do better or is just not going to be a good mom.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by