I'm gonna die... a huricane is coming tonight!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Scooter&Suzie, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I love storms, but I now have chickens, and I'm scared a tree will crash down on the coop! I do have an extra coop just in case that happens... You see we live in the woods and a couple trees, and tons of big branches always come down a big storm like this. I keep loosing chickens due to things like raccoons and hawks and sickness... I don't want to loose the 8 I have now, I have already lost 7, and I might loose one more, because it is a rooster, and it is biting and it might be noisy... What should I do? I'm going to lock them in their coop, like my friend told me to do, her son and her family have been doing chickens for 14 years, and since the door is facing the wrong direction the wind and rain will come right though the door. Any advice for a frantic mommy of 8 chicken babies? I cleaned the cage this morning, and gave them fresh food and water... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

If you have a dog crate or 2 you could bring them inside for the evening

3. C17

C17 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    Blythewood
    You are going to be fine, secure the girls and wait this small"Caine" out. We are keeping every one in our thoughts and prayers.

4. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I put my 5 six week old White Leghorns in a plastic tub container with a window screen over top, pine shavings, chicken food & water inside. They're hunkered down - it's cozy - but at least they're safe. The winds here are supposed to be 38mph overnight - that is when I was most concerned about the coop not being safe for them. I didn't want to bring them inside, but I felt I had to do it. Several other people say they put their chicks in their bathtub and pulled the shower curtain to contain them. Some have put them in dog crates in garages or sheds. My best option was the plastic tub inside the house. Stay safe [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I don't know where you are in relation to the path of the eye... but if you are within 30 miles of the eye passing by, I'd put them inside the house... and pray a tree doesn't come down on your house....

6. I <3 my EEs

I <3 my EEs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    Lancaster
    keep chicks in a dog house-im worried about them

7. JanetR

JanetR Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Long Island NY
    I brought mine into the basement:
    [​IMG]
    They are quite upset- alot of honking going on. I'm trying to settle them down by gradually moving the lamp farther away- like the sun setting. [​IMG]

8. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    They all survied... We tried to huricane proof the coops as well as we could.

9. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Scooter&Suzie :

They all survied... We tried to huricane proof the coops as well as we could.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by