I'm gonna do it....

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by itsy, Aug 12, 2011.

1. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Later this afternoon - I'm going to process our first official meatie. It's going to be my second ever chicken processing. I need to remember everything I did wrong, so I can do it right this time.

[​IMG]

I'm getting over a bad cold and now everyone in the house is showing symptoms that they are in the early stages - so this chicken will go to chicken soup. I have a rooster selected. I would let it sit in the fridge for a day or so after processing, but anyone have opinions on if it's being used for soup if I can just keep it overnight? I plan on saving the bits and pieces for stock - so I suppose I could make the stock today and then let the meat parts sit in the fridge for use tomorrow? I've never cut up a chicken for use - so this will be a first.

2. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    I'd say if you plan on cutting the bird up into bite size pieces, overnight would be fine, especially for a slow cooked soup.

Hope yall feel better soon:D

3. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    WOW! It wasn't so bad!!!!!!!!

Lemme tell you, my first experience sucked. This one was great! A yonger bird like this one has little to no odor. Fantastic! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by