I'm gonna make like a chicken butt and vent...

chickensioux

Songster
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
Western North Carolina
I live in a nice neighborhood, in the country, where there are no rules or regulations against owning chickens. Everyone in the hood has an acre or two. There are no covenants against any farm animals, so I got chickens. None of the neighbors but 1 can even see the coop (which matches our home). I have 2 neighbors that are so ugly about me having chickens it's ridiculous. They make nasty comments, immitate the chicken noises and just generally act like angry 3rd graders. They said I didn't ask their permission to get chickens and I told them I didn't have to. Not only are they missing out on knowing me as a person but they are missing out on all the fresh eggs that most of the other neighbors enjoy. Why are some people so hateful and angry all the time?

People like that are ignorant and don't like to enjoy life. Also I feel they probably were taught when they were growing up that farm animals are dirty and disgusting. I have a sister in law that thinks that. Just enjoy your animals, and feel sorry for them because they don't know what they are missing.

My neighbors love my chickens..But down the street about 4 houses down my Aunt and Uncle HATE them...They complain about people down the street having bantys. I would of hated to see the look on their faces when they knew I was getting some. Now they almost never call or come around our housee anymore since I have them and I'm never going to get rid of my chickens! Never knew family would turn against you when you have chickens
hmm.png

don't take it personally. there are people who will have to have an 'issue' with EVERYTHING in life, especially if it's none of their business.

they are trying to 'qualify' themselves by putting others 'in their place'. rest assured they do this in every aspect of their lives.

they will thrive on negative or positive attention. it's like a 3 yr. old throwing a tantrum. ignore them and if you are like me, start BLESSING them in thought and deed. watch how fast that puts hot coals on their heads and blessings pour into your home!

Quote:
Harumph, miss_jayne! I think you are 100% correct and I think it takes a mighty big person to still smile in the face of neighbors like that. My hat is off to you!
woot.gif

Quote:
I would also tell them that this area IS for people with animals, and if they do not like it, they are free to move out and settle in deed restricted subdivision.

One time I had a neighboor who did not like my pecan tree cause some leaves were falling on his backyard.
He wanted me to cut it down. Finally I got really p..sed off with him, told him if he does not like trees, he should move out of State of Florida. Then I put privacy fence around my property.

That was too much for him, he sold his house and bought a condo.

People make fun of what they do not understand...

I get teased alot for being "the chicken lady"

I just laugh and say you need to come out and see them..

Usually once they hold a pet chicken they get it!

Maybe you should sneak over at night and put an egg in their mailbox!
gig.gif
lau.gif
tongue2.gif

edited to add, or you could put one of those marshmellow "peeps" in there, that would be cute too and less obvious!!

Last edited:
On a serious note, I have always been the "odd duck" so to speak and been the one with all the animals. My husbands family thinks I am weird, well, my own family does too but they are nicer about it. My FIL always says rude things like, why don't you just eat them, referring to our pet whatever chickens, rabbits, etc. or shoot them, talking about our dogs. Whatever. I just ignore him now.

Instead, I come here, where I find others like me, who love their animals and are somewhat obsessive about them and it is "normal" and ok.
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom