i'm gonna scream soon!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by txmel, Aug 29, 2010.

1. txmel

txmel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    i can't get a hygrometer to work i swear! i have 4 hygrometers 2 i have decided dont work at all and the other 2 i have my doubts about. i calibrate all. they all were off at 10-12 hours by 10 one was 10 high the rest were 10 low. ok fine. put them in the incubator 2 flake immediately and are removed because the temp display went wacky so didnt trust the other reading either. of the 2 remaining one is digital and the other is the coil with the little hand that points to the number. the problem is that they dont seem to change even when i have added water to the trays. ( its a homemade incubator ) they read 24 and the other reads 30. one is low by 10 and the other is high by 10 ( according to calibration ) so with the #'s there giving me they still don't match and the humidity isn't right. any one have any ideas what to do?
  2. Deanner03

Deanner03 The Cake Queen

I have no advice, but I can IMAGINE how frustrating that must be.

I just use a cheapo digital thermometer from Walmart that also displays humidity. It's worked for us so far (through both chicken and duck hatches).

Good luck.
  3. JD

JD Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Try finding a good one in the reptile section in a pet store. I heard here somewhere that they work good.
  4. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    My last hatch, the hygrometer was off by 10 also..on the high side. I compared it with a new one...which one to believe? I had heard about the ones in the reptile section also...I might try it on my next visit to Pet Smart.
  5. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    I have a digital thermometer that shows current temperature and humidity, and also records maximum and minimum temps and humidity if you're concerned about fluctuations. I got it a garden supply store for my little greenhouse.
  6. storminstaffs

storminstaffs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Durham, UK
    im using a reptile hydrometer and it works great
  7. txmel

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    one is a reptile hygrometer and the other is a remote one used for outdoors i just not sure which to believe its just really frustrating.
  8. jmorriso

jmorriso Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2010
    I use the salt water test to decide how much I trust a hygrometer. Put 1/2 a cup of salt in a cup and add water till you get the consisty of wet sand. Put the salt cup in a gallon ziplock bag with you hygrometer(s) and wait over night. The next morning they should read 75%. Humidity. If they don't then at east you know how far off they are.

Edit: Just re-read your post and it looks like you've already done the salt water calibration so never mind. Sorry.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  9. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I use the black Accurite that's $7 from the outdoor thermometer section of Wal-Mart. I get 2 and test both. They show temp and humidity, and retain a min and max of each.

These seem to be the longest-lasting ones I have found, so far, which don't die and fade out.
  10. txmel

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    thanks for all the replies and support all. its been a very nerve wracking week of trying this one then running to the store to get another one, ect.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by